Consumer Law, Warranties Written Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaelynnjordan

Okay I will try and make this very brief and to the point.....My friend was kicked out of her house by her boyfriend (it was his house) because he wanted to start seeing other girls...My friend was unemployed at the time and had no income...He was not willing to let her stay until she found work and an apt. I let her and her daughter stay with me until she could find a job. Before she moved out of his house...he told her he would help her out financially with getting into an apartment and paying her rent for her until she could pay it on her own. They both went to a notary and wrote out a written agreement and had it notarized. The agreement simply stated that he was going to pay the rent for her until she was able to pay for it on her own.

She found a job but was only working part time and was not able to go full time for another few months...After helping her get into the apartment he told her he was still going to help her with her rent. When the first came around he is now saying that he dont think he is going to pay any more of her rent because she should be able to pay it on her own now.

There was no date stipulation on the agreement, and she is not able to pay it on her own yet. Is the agreement they both signed give her any leverage or is she basically screwed...

Thanks in advance.

No, she hasn't been screwed.
The "thing" they signed is meaningless in a legal sense.

He owes her nothing.
She owes him nothing.

He promised her to pay her rent.
That wasn't a contract.
A contract is comprised of a promise by one for consideration by another.
He got no consideration for his promise.

He can change his mind.

They weren't married.
There is no legal duty for either to do anything for the other.
She has learned a lesson.
Don't play house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back