Write up for agreeing with the customer

Shellyshelly10

Jurisdiction
California
Hi I was recently written up for agreeing with a customer that they could sue our company for askimg for proof of service dog. A family came into my restaurant with their milirary service dog that went to war with thw military man when they walked in to the restaurant one of the hostess asked for proof of service dog papers. She made them wait About 10 minutes and they asked to talk to a manager, our manager wasn't present at the moment so a head waiter came to talk for him. When the head server asked to see proof the customer was yelling out his lungs that the law in California has passed that they do not need to show proof of service dog and a lady family member of the customer jumped in and said they can sue us for that. I work as host and I was standing right in front of them and when she said that i agreeing and said yes that's true. Well the host ended up letting them pass to get a table when I sat them down they asked for the names of the host and the manager. So I gave them the name who they spoke too. Later that day the host, the manager and a lady that works in the office took me to the back room and asked me why I gave out their names that I was not authorized to do that. They also said why did i agree with the customer that they can sue them.. they told me they have the right to refuse service to anybody. I told them that's great you can do that but that's a big lawsuit you're looking at because they have no sign in the restaurant saying that they have the right to refuse service to anybody and they also didn't have a sign up saying no dogs allowed only service dogs. I told them I gave out their names becAuse those are the people they spoke with. 2days later I get writen up for not having team work and the next day they put their signs up saying they have the right to refuse service to anybody and they put a sign up no dogs allowed only service dogs. I sign my write up because i want to keep my job but I didn't want to sign it because it felt wrong that they were writing me up. Can I get written up for agreeing with the customer and also for giving out yhe names they spoke with?

Yes, you can. There is no law that says you can not.

Service animals who are trained to perform a task for someone due to a disability are protected under the law. Animals who were formerly working animals in the military are not. It sounds like this dog was the latter.

It's never a good idea to agree with a customer that they could sue even if they are correct... you are not an attorney and probably if not trained yourself, you don't have enough knowledge to speak with the customer about it. In hindsight it would have been better to say nothing and speak with the manager later in private

Can i get written up for something that happened outside of work while I was off the clock and it happened in my house. I gave a marijuana joint to my friend after he dropped me off at my house. his girlfriend found a joint in his belongings with my time sheet from work with my clock in hours and name on it. 2 weeks later she goes to my job and talks to the manager, then calls me to go talk to them. The girl friend asked me if I sold the joint to him I told her no i gave it to him along time ago. Since she brought that joint to work i got a final warning as my write up and so did my friend because the girlfriend said she would call the cops. I told her she could call the cops but they're not going to do anything I didnt do anything illegal you can give a joint up to an ounce of marijuana away legally. I got the write up since theyre a Drug free work place now this did not happen at work I was clocked out and it happen in my house. It was not in my possession and I don't bring marijuana to work at any time. Can I get written up for somebody bringing a marijuana joint to my job that I gave away outside of work at my house?

Never admit to anything.

If you're going to play the game, learn the rules.

Your time card found in the possession of another person doesn't prove you gave the person the time of day, much less a joint.

You do yourself a great disservice by giving anyone dope, and an even greater disservice my admitting to it.

As you've learned, the police aren't the only entity that can cause complications in your life.

Playing dumb, pretending not to hear, especially if it doesn't directly impact you are great skills to learn.

That's what they told me that why did I say yes. that was the truth but I guess i have to lie my whole life from now on the cops can't do anything its legal. Its marijuana for crying out loud but since theyre a drug free work place i got written up even tho it did not happen at work.

Never admit to anything.

If you're going to play the game, learn the rules.

Your time card found in the possession of another person doesn't prove you gave the person the time of day, much less a joint.

You do yourself a great disservice by giving anyone dope, and an even greater disservice my admitting to it.

As you've learned, the police aren't the only entity that can cause complications in your life.

Playing dumb, pretending not to hear, especially if it doesn't directly impact you are great skills to learn.

That's what they told me that why did I say yes. that was the truth but I guess i have to lie my whole life from now on the cops can't do anything its legal. Its marijuana for crying out loud but since theyre a drug free work place i got written up even tho it did not happen at work.

Playing dumb isn't lying, it's saying I don't know.

Man hasn't yet invented a way to monitor your thoughts, or assess what you've seen, heard, or observed.

You are under no legal obligation to answer your employer's questions that aren't related to your workplace.

The person claiming to have discovered your time card could have stolen it.

You need not offer an explanation as to how he got it.

Learn to ignore things that don't involve you.

Life is only as complicated as we make it.

Remember, "Anything you say or do, can and will be used in a court of law against you."

Protect yourself at all times.

Got it

Playing dumb isn't lying, it's saying I don't know.

Man hasn't yet invented a way to monitor your thoughts, or assess what you've seen, heard, or observed.

You are under no legal obligation to answer your employer's questions that aren't related to your workplace.

The person claiming to have discovered your time card could have stolen it.

You need not offer an explanation as to how he got it.

Learn to ignore things that don't involve you.

Life is only as complicated as we make it.

Remember, "Anything you say or do, can and will be used in a court of law against you."

Protect yourself at all times.

Back