Would you consider this harrasment that the employer is liable for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnick

My wife works in an office that is compromised mostly of females.

She has been at this job for about 2 years, in the past specific individuals have singled her out, belittled, spread rumors and basically made-up petty high-school drama scenarios over nothing.

Recently it has stepped up a notch, individuals who have no authority over her, have nothing to do with her work will get short with her when she requests something (to do her job), then go on a tirade about what she is doing is wrong, then start telling everyone in the office about it, etc. etc. It escalates pretty fast - when she informs her direct manager that she thinks so and so is harassing her it is typically deflected and not addressed whatsoever.

So after time the frustration has built up and her doctor has her on some meds to help with depression and whatnot, she takes it quite personally. Recently the company has been laying people off. She talked to her boss recently about an indicant and the bosses response was that everyone thought she thinks she is a know it all and that is why people don't like her etc.

Regardless, it doesn't seem right and is effecting her emotionally. I realize it is probably a weak case if any, but it seems that over time management has done nothing to address her concerns about being harassed by specific people. It can't really be pinpointed to sex, age, religion or any of that so I am just curious if the law covers anything as general as this. Her health has certainly been affected overtime (and is getting worse with each indcident).

Thanks in advance for any feedback, sorry if it was too general but the post seems too long already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back