Would this be a case?

LisaA28

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
Hi,
A year ago I was enrolled in college and had a scholarship for athletics. Before I even began school the NCAA required all transcripts from the high schools I've attended. I called and asked each school to send in my transcripts. One school did but the other did not. Still before attending school, I called multiple times asking for the transcripts to be sent. They told me they would. The fall semester of college starts and my coach notifies me that the NCAA still hasn't recieved my transcripts from the high school. Of coarse I call again and ask why they haven't been sent and they tell me they don't know and that they will put in the notes to send it off. At this point I was under the impression that they will send it, but my athletic coordinator and coach tell me later that it still hasn't been sent. At this point they both attempt to contact the school multiple times. I try to contact them again. They tell me that they would need a form (you don't need a form when it's being sent to the clearing house) but I relay the information to my coach. He calls asking which form and they don't know. About a week later I call again and they say they will send it to the clearinghouse. So I go about the fall semester thinking I finally have it settled. The next year a bill is on my account for the fall semester. The high school didn't send in the transcripts until the next year. So I wasn't eligible to acquire my scholarship. I had been requesting that they send in those transcripts the whole year previous. Each time they told me they would. They wait until the next year to send it which cancelled my scholarship for the fall. We all including my coach contacted them and we were all under the impression/ told that they would send it in. They didn't until a year later And now I have to pay back what the scholarship was for in fall. I feel like I shouldn't have to pay it since it was their fault I didn't recieve my scholarship. Multiple people called and asked multiple times and they assured us that they would. They shouldn't have told us they would send it in if they wasn't going to. I wouldn't have even attended school yet if I had known I wouldn't recieve my scholarship because they didn't send it yet. Not only that. It would have been okay if they sent it during the fall but they waited until the next year to send it. Would I be able to make this a case?

Would I be able to make this a case?

NO, it's YOUR responsibility to see to YOUR official transcript is sent on time and to the correct party.

The tuition is your responsibility, and yours alone.
Welcome to whacky world of adulthood and personal responsibility.

Would I be able to make this a case?

NO, it's YOUR responsibility to see to YOUR official transcript is sent on time and to the correct party.

The tuition is your responsibility, and yours alone.
Welcome to whacky world of adulthood and personal responsibility.

Even though they continuously assured us that they would send it ?

Yes.

You should have gone to your high school personally after the first few failures and made sure the request was handled right.

Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

The high school is in a whole different state as the university but I understand what you're saying.

If I were a betting woman, I'd guess that either the transcripts were sent to the main office of the college, not the clearinghouse, and or they were not sent without the actual paperwork. The full transcripts would have been required as part of the university admission process which is separate from any scholarship requirements. Many HS's will only send transcripts to a student or the school. They will not send them to scholarship offices or other outside entities, and even assurances that they would be sent were probably predicated on the belief you had submitted a written request.

In any case, the school is not responsible for your tuition costs.

Back