worst hotel stay ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallasfan99

on may 6th 2010 my wife, son, and myself left huntington, wv. 3 hours less we arrived at "not to be mentioned hotel". We checked in to our room and were unaware of any water problems or services being done at that time. After putting our stuff in room we took off to local store got some things for the night and for zoo tripped planned next day. When we arrived back at hotel the manager advised us that they would be turning off water at 11:30pm for service of pipes and things and would return service of water at 3am. I advised wife and son and we went to room got our showers and cleaned up for bed. Was asleep by 12 to only be rudely and suddenly awaken by 2 men saying they were hotel management as they were beating on room door that they had already tried to access with their master key. My wife jumped up and fell in water and I got up helped her up and she grabbed our son who at this time is completley crying and scared. I scrampled to the door to get them to quit yelling and tell us what was happening. The 2 say they are hotel management and that "my wife and I " have flooded the whole hotel and that 3 floors are washed out due to us. I advised them that we were asleep and have been since like 12 midnight and at this time of 430am you are coming to me cause you guys performed maintence in the middle of the night and say i am to blame. Guy calmed down a little but then told me that we needed to get our things out of the water and move out into hallway he would get us another room. Wife and I gathered all of our ruined and soaked things up and moved into hallway. Account of ruined things: Laptop, digital camera, zune mp3 player, coach purse, medications, cellphone htc touchscreen new in box was gonna be mothersday present, and clothes and shoes. We finally was given another room 2 doors down and at this time asked for paper and pen to write down all things damaged and turn into them for replacement and guy laughed at us and said " replacement you are lucky we dont charge you for all this damage that you and your family cause". I again told him that we were not responsible for this and that he cannot blame us for it and he advised me to be quiet about situation and we could stay at hotel in room 416 which is 2 doors down from room that flooded 414... After returning to new room we could not get son back to sleep till 8am and got back up at 9am to check out. While checking out I asked if there was someone I could talk to about our stuff that was ruined due to their water problems and they once again tell me its best if i just drop the whole situation and forget about it.our night and small vacation to cincinnati and to the zoo was ruined along with some items that may never be replaced like our family photos on laptop and all of my work on laptop. Also we had a horrible time at zoo due to no rest at hotel during this trip.

also have photos of all the water damage since had another camera in car. fortunatly was able to start family photo albums over with this camera sice laptop is ruined and our newer camera will not operate now.

dallasfan99 said:
also have photos of all the water damage since had another camera in car. fortunatly was able to start family photo albums over with this camera sice laptop is ruined and our newer camera will not operate now.

You should hire a lawyer and sue the hotel.
Keep all proof and documentation.
You are entitled to fair value of everything they ruined.
You may nit get all you want, but you'll eventually get a fair chunk of it.

You could file a claim with your hoeowners policy.
They'll reimburse you quickly and subrogate against the hotel to be reimbursed.

You could write endless letters to hotel's corporate office, and possibly get help.

Option 2 seems the easietst to me.
The hotel isn't going to help you voluntarily it seems.

I would take special care to make certain the two "managers" you talked to are held responsible. Sue them.

Yes... if you know them, use the "managers" names... who are probably not really managers.
The company insurance should cover your loss. There is no way they can hold you responsible.
Total up your loss and start by sending them a demand letter. If they don't make things right, sue them.

I work for a hotel and am horrified by the treatment you received. There is no excuse for that. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel industry.

Does anyone know a good lawyer that would ake this case on. the more i sit and think of how we were treated and the facts of the water pulling up things out of the carpet that was in there for years is just disgusting and we are just unsettled with the thoughts of how horrible it was.

A lawyer? What was the total value of the damages? Might this be a small claims matter? From my read if the value of any damages is less than $3,000 it is a small claims matter and I would think attorneys fees might eat up what small to moderate award might be won.

If not a small claims matter, you might want to find out just how the attorney will be paid. Can he seek reasonable fees as part of the settlement or award? Or would you have to pay him out of your award amount?

It's almost certainly a small claims matter. I would expect if it is handled right it should never get to court either.

If the hotel does not respond to your demand letter (if you send one) then you are done dealing with them. Find out who their agent is that handles legal matters and begin working with them. The agent should keep it out of court and negotiate a settlement.

Another point to consider is contacting the TV news. They usually have some consumer help segment, and this sounds like something they would love. Small claims court might be just as well, if not better, but the news is free, and the hotel would probably cringe at the bad press and start working with these folks to try to make it look like things came to a good end for the news story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back