Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplymister

I am currently in a similar situation as Xretailmgr in regard to his posting http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48541 . I, too, have walked out of the store with a cell phone after closing but have promptly returned it the next day. My other co workers have been aware of it that I have accidentally taken the phone with me, but it had been returned. This has only occurred 3 times, maximum. Now my question is, the act of walking out with the phone although I did end up returning it, would that be a reason to be terminated? I only ask this because at my work place there seems to be a large amount of internal theft happening and LP is starting to snoop around. I know that LP will be in soon to ask questions about the internal theft that easily can amount to $2000+. I am just in a worried state due to what had happened to Xretailmgr. I can sense my superior is out to find a scapegoat. What things should I do to seperate myself from the internal theft besides the fact that I have taken a cell phone off site. I have no problem admitting to that, but I do not want to be accused of anything else that I know I have not done.

I know if asked, my co workers would probably note that I have taken a phone out before. Is there anything I need to avoid to keep myself away from the some $2000+ worth of merchandise missing?

Located in Georgia

Until you are actually charged we cant be much help. We do not know what if anything you will be charged with. If the dollar value is as you say I suspect your looking at felony charges.

If they suspected you and suddenly you quit, they are more inclined to involve the police to go after you and recover their losses. Simply because you are not employed doesn't mean their hands are tied.

If they sit down and talk to you, be honest. You made a mistake, but you had no intention of causing a loss to the company. Now you may still get fired and have to repay them, but the police may not be involved.

The ball is in your court. My advice would be to be more careful and pay attention when leaving the store so you do not remove property which is not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back