Workers who go the extra mile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

In http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=171611 , lynng wrote:

"I've reported several unfit parents to DSS in my area. It is a complete waste of time. DSS does not investigate these types of reports at all."

While parameters may exist to determine when DSS should investigate an issue, more often than not it boils down to how much a particular worker wants to investigate an issue.
Often, we see workers who just want to clock in, do something to resemble they are actually working (especially if their superiors are watching), and clock out. There is no real incentive to go beyond a certain point to get something accomplished, unless they are compelled to do so by external forces they have no control over, or they have absolutely nothing else to do. Never will these peons "rock the boat" to accomplish anything; their menial "jobs" and "salary" and "job-security" are far more important to them than any measure of going the extra mile to do an outstanding job out of their personal passion for what they claim to do for a living.

I've worked in the Software industry for many years, and the environment there is just the opposite: the passion to accomplish something that is revolutionary is what drives them. These guys will willingly work on the weekends and holidays, for no extra pay. Try getting a government/union worker to do that!
Some of these software guys don't even monitor their paychecks, or when payroll actually deposits it in their bank account, or if there was an error in their paycheck. Their focus is solely on their work, not on their compensation. Because they understand that ultimately it is the work they do that defines who they actually are; a concept very foreign to most government/union workers.

Try delaying a paycheck by just 1 or 2 days for the peons I described above, and watch them spring into more action about why their paychecks have been delayed than they would ever have invested in their regular work.

There will always be achievers and slackers. Government workers don't have a monopoly on slackers, nor does private industry have a monopoly on achievers.

Some of the hardest working, bravest, dedicated, and patriotic people I ever met were government employees. They were drafted into the service of this nation. They came from all walks of life, yet they came. They are the reasons we enjoy our freedoms today.

They risked everything to defend, not only our nation, but the entire planet. They never bothered looking at their paychecks, either. They received a mere $93 a month for putting their lives on the line.

Don't smear an entire group, because of a few bad actors. You have an axe to grind. You have an agenda. Please think before you disparage everyone because of the misdeeds of a few.

My mother was a teacher. She taught for 35 years. She retired at age 70, because that was the mandatory retirement age in Michigan.

She stopped working for a few years to raise her family. Even then, she never stopped teaching. She would spend three hours each night conducting "study hall" and English classes for my siblings and me.

She'd always run a summer school, too. My mother was employed by a school district. Between my dad and her, she sent six children to college, and graduate school. She was able to do that despite her paltry salary.

So, not all people are the same. She wasn't the only dedicated teacher in that district, either. I owe my paltry achievements and my education to some wonderful teachers. They shared their wisdom and knowledge with those who would listen and try. They never became millionaires being teachers, either. They had a calling, a passion, and they loved their profession.

Stop and think before you rant. There are good and bad people in all walks of life. They care, and most work very hard, because that is what they were taught. They came from families that cared and taught values.

The problem with this nation isn't caused by a gender, a race, a religion, a political persuasion, or even a region. This nation is falling apart because its families are falling apart. The backbone of every nation is the family unit. No government can ever replace a mother and a father. It's been tried, and it fails. Without calling out any nation, it's alive today, and failing miserably. It's causing us to also lose our way.

We have become a nation, for the vast part, that feels we are owed something by others. We used to feel that we owed a debt to our society and our nation. Until that changes, I submit that this country will continue to falter and be in great peril. We, as a nation, have lost our way.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Army, what would your mother, who was a teacher, have said about this:

The Worst Union in America - How the California Teachers Association betrayed the schools and crippled the state.
e.g. "A CTA (California Teachers Association) document suggested dozens of ways for teachers to protest, including following state legislators incessantly, attempting to close major transportation arteries, and boycotting companies, such as Microsoft, that backed education reform."
- http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_2_california-teachers-association.html

The military, police, National Guard, etc. don't get a choice: if they are called in, they must go.
One gets to see passion in action when one voluntarily goes, especially for receiving little or nothing in return. And you did provide some examples in your reply above.

I am sure a police officer would go out of his way to try to stop a bank robbery, even if he was off-duty. I can't say the same for most union workers.

I know some militants who signed up because of the retirement and other benefits (GI Bill, etc) that was offered. Others, who wanted a faster way to US Citizenship. And there were others who were drafted, and had a radically different view of things when they returned from VietNam, none of which (views) the current military would be especially proud of.

(I may be editing this post to add more details)

Last edited:
I got locked out of editing my message above to add more details...
The myth then, as it is today, is that they are saving/defending this nation and the entire planet. You see, this is the same myth the Roman Empire and the Greek Empire tried back in those days too.

I will not debate you.

I simply am asking you to tone it down.

If you wish to spew this stuff, start your own blog.

Please don't do that here.

Thank you.

There will always be achievers and slackers. Government workers don't have a monopoly on slackers, nor does private industry have a monopoly on achievers.

Some of the hardest working, bravest, dedicated, and patriotic people I ever met were government employees. They were drafted into the service of this nation. They came from all walks of life, yet they came. They are the reasons we enjoy our freedoms today.

They risked everything to defend, not only our nation, but the entire planet. They never bothered looking at their paychecks, either. They received a mere $93 a month for putting their lives on the line.

Don't smear an entire group, because of a few bad actors. You have an axe to grind. You have an agenda. Please think before you disparage everyone because of the misdeeds of a few.

My mother was a teacher. She taught for 35 years. She retired at age 70, because that was the mandatory retirement age in Michigan.

She stopped working for a few years to raise her family. Even then, she never stopped teaching. She would spend three hours each night conducting "study hall" and English classes for my siblings and me.

She'd always run a summer school, too. My mother was employed by a school district. Between my dad and her, she sent six children to college, and graduate school. She was able to do that despite her paltry salary.

So, not all people are the same. She wasn't the only dedicated teacher in that district, either. I owe my paltry achievements and my education to some wonderful teachers. They shared their wisdom and knowledge with those who would listen and try. They never became millionaires being teachers, either. They had a calling, a passion, and they loved their profession.

Stop and think before you rant. There are good and bad people in all walks of life. They care, and most work very hard, because that is what they were taught. They came from families that cared and taught values.

The problem with this nation isn't caused by a gender, a race, a religion, a political persuasion, or even a region. This nation is falling apart because its families are falling apart. The backbone of every nation is the family unit. No government can ever replace a mother and a father. It's been tried, and it fails. Without calling out any nation, it's alive today, and failing miserably. It's causing us to also lose our way.

We have become a nation, for the vast part, that feels we are owed something by others. We used to feel that we owed a debt to our society and our nation. Until that changes, I submit that this country will continue to falter and be in great peril. We, as a nation, have lost our way.

Very well said, army judge!

Thank you, Betty.

I am prone to rants, too, as are all of us.

But, this forum isn't the place to constantly grind axes.

We have a very sound political process in place.

If things irk you, run for office, or communicate your dissatisfaction to your elected leaders.

After a 30 year military career, and a few more years serving my state, I've had it.

I'm voting with my feet and heading to a place where I can enjoy my last decade or so in peace.

I never enjoyed fighting, squabbling, or arguing.

Peace, serenity, reflection, solitude, 75 degree days, unlimited sunshine, and tranquility are all I seek.

Thank you for your service to our country.

I simply am asking you to tone it down.

Point taken, but my primary reason for my original post was to highlight a serious issue in our government agencies: the lack of motivation of the workers there who are supposed to be doing work for the rest of the citizenry.

If you wish to spew this stuff, start your own blog.
Please don't do that here.

This Forum: General Chat, News, TV, Politics
"Social banter, current issues, the news, politics, TV, sports, law shows on TV. Mostly non-legal issues, not about cases but about conversation."

Army, it appears that you don't like any discussion anywhere of any issue that makes you, or something you like, look bad.

This Forum: General Chat, News, TV, Politics
"Social banter, current issues, the news, politics, TV, sports, law shows on TV. Mostly non-legal issues, not about cases but about conversation."

Army, it appears that you don't like any discussion anywhere of any issue that makes you, or something you like, look bad.

Please, don't do this.

I simply asked you to tone it down.

Don't call out other posters.

Consider this your last warning.

Very well said Army Judge! I am also an Army (drafted) veteran who made $99.00 a month. I went to war even though I did not believe in that war, or any war! But, I worked hard seven days a week next to men and women who served with me, because I believed in them and was proud to a part of that magnificent team. Our goal was to get the job done and come home in one piece. When I came home in my uniform, I was spit at as I walked through the NY Port Authority bus terminal! I am very glad that our current vets are now treated with the respect that they deserve. Sorry for my soap box rant! Thank you.

Very well said Army Judge! I am also an Army (drafted) veteran who made $99.00 a month. I went to war even though I did not believe in that war, or any war! But, I worked hard seven days a week next to men and women who served with me, because I believed in them and was proud to a part of that magnificent team. Our goal was to get the job done and come home in one piece. When I came home in my uniform, I was spit at as I walked through the NY Port Authority bus terminal! I am very glad that our current vets are now treated with the respect that they deserve. Sorry for my soap box rant! Thank you.

Thank you your service and patriotism. Our nation's draftees are the backbone of our freedom. Plumbers, lawyers, laborers, celebrities, rich men, poor men, but patriots all. I say men, because only men have been subjected to conscription.

That said, no men have done more for our nation that its draftees. They served selflessly at great personal sacrifice, and for that they deserve our gratitude. Thank you to all our veterans, but especially our draftees.

Thank you also, Benny, for your service to our country.

Yes, thank you for your service, Benny. I am sorry to hear someone spat at you at the New York Port Authority Bus Terminal when you returned.
The media/protestors at the time had painted a very negative picture of the people who served, instead of focusing on the bad choice the government had made to send our soldiers to VietNam.

Regarding the amount our soldiers were paid: The buying power of $99 in 1967 is about $680 in 2012.

In http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=171611 , lynng wrote:
"I've reported several unfit parents to DSS in my area. It is a complete waste of time. DSS does not investigate these types of reports at all."

While parameters may exist to determine when DSS should investigate an issue, more often than not it boils down to how much a particular worker wants to investigate an issue. Often, we see workers who just want to clock in, do something to resemble they are actually working (especially if their superiors are watching), and clock out. There is no real incentive to go beyond a certain point to get something accomplished, unless they are compelled to do so by external forces they have no control over, or they have absolutely nothing else to do. Never will these peons "rock the boat" to accomplish anything; their menial "jobs" and "salary" and "job-security" are far more important to them than any measure of going the extra mile to do an outstanding job out of their personal passion for what they claim to do for a living.
DSS has a difficult job. My mother is a guidance counselor. She's of age when she can quit but she loves her kids and feels that she cannot leave them. Children can be the speakers of the truth or the teller of tall tales in order to get what they want. It's sometimes difficult to differentiate. And sometimes even when you want to make a difference, moving prematurely can result in massive lawsuits against the city/state as well as the potential for other household horrors if the child ends up staying in the home.

With regard to the personnel... quality of government employees varies greatly from place to place. In some instances the hiring practices are completely corrupted and unions have created a problem you refer to. Unfortunately you'll hear about those far more than you will about the many who do their jobs well and take pride in their work. In New York City there is a "rubber room" where teachers who should have been fired and lose their pension stay, do nothing, and become millionaires perfecting another career. These incidents happen at a rate that is alarming but if you look at the aggregate number of teachers, the number is probably less than the 50% it seems to feel when bombarded by daily stories in the press. I can't say that anyone I've known has become a teacher in order to rest on their laurels towards a sun drenched retirement. They love their kids, even if they aren't provided some of the incentives one might hope.

+1 on this.

Benny... I can only say thank you (and to army judge) and it will never be enough. I lived through a time when there was no true war. It's difficult to appreciate what that means until you experience a time when words like "the draft" actually mean something. My uncle served and my father was refused due to a condition at the time. Your experience is no soap box rant - it's more a sober reminder.

In the same way it's not fair to blame the soldiers for decisions made by the generals (and/or presidents), it's not fair to derail an entire train for what frequently amounts to a couple of the squeakiest wheels. Unless there is something to be gained, it doesn't help to squeak even louder in an effort to be heard as that results in just making much more noise without anything actually being accomplished.

My brother was drafted during the Korean War though he is 10 yrs. older than me. I say thank you so very much to anyone who served in any war. Our neighbor's son was killed in the Vietnam War - he also had a sister who was in the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back