Workers comp

willandtabby

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I got hurt at work and had surgery on my knee. i was out of work for 6 wks. the dr filled out paperwork stating i could come back on stipulations of working at fitting room. i found a better job and because of the way the job that i got hurt on treated me bad i took the better job. i still received a check for workers comp. today i got a call from their lawyers office asking me if i got a new job and how long have i been their? my questions is are they going to make me pay the money back since I've started the new job

Because you asked for it, here it is:

fraudbadge[1].gif
Our Mission

The mission of the Fraud Investigative Unit is to serve the citizens of North Carolina by investigating potential criminal violations of the Workers' Compensation Act and ensuring compliance with the rules and regulations in a manner that fosters confidence in the Workers' Compensation system and compliance with the law.
/
/
fraudbadge[1].gif
/
/
Fraud Investigations

The Fraud Investigative Unit operates as a law enforcement agency and is responsible for conducting criminal investigations into cases of suspected workers' compensation fraud and violations related to workers' compensation claims involving employees, employers, insurers, health care providers, attorneys, and vocational rehabilitation providers. Fraud Investigators investigate all criminal complaints filed with the Industrial Commission regarding failure of employers to maintain workers' compensation insurance (N.C. Gen. Stat. § 97-94(d)), fraud on the part of employees with regard to the collection or obtaining of workers' compensation benefits (N.C. Gen. Stat. § 97-88.2), fraud on the part of employers with regard to payment or collection of workers' compensation premiums from employees' salaries (N.C. Gen. Stat. § 97-21), medical payment fraud, and any other claims arising out of violations of Chapter 97 by employees or employers. The Criminal Investigation Unit works with Judicial Officials and other law enforcement agencies throughout the state to resolve the above investigations in criminal court.

i got a call from their lawyers office asking me if i got a new job and how long have i been their?

I don't think it's as serious as being investigated by the state for fraud.

If you just got a couple of checks and "mistakingly" failed to notify WC I'm sure that the insurance company lawyer will work with you about paying it back.

When you call back say, "I can pay back $... today. Where shall I send the check."

That's because paying is paying, talking about paying is not paying and I'm sure they don't want to hear talk, they will want to see money.

I juat got another call. they asked me if id be willing to settle with the place i was hurt at.

I suggest you ask the lawyer to send you a letter by mail explaining what it is you're settling, how much, etc...

Always get any settlement offer in writing, and verify its legitimate.

Back