Workers Comp settlement during end of marriage

Sickandtried

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
I had an accident at work and just recently the insurance offered a settlement in which my attorney suggested I accept. Two years ago, the insurance company stopped paying me weekly benefits which caused a huge problem for me since my wife was not willing to seek employment for our family which includes our two girls. I have been neglected by her and locked away in a room day and night. I'm unable to pay for a divorce. When I receive the settlement will she be entitled to any of it? I know that I'll be judged here as being greedy but if you only knew how shes been treating me both physically and mentally you would understand. There is much more to my situation that I'm unable to include here now. Thank you very much for any input you might have.

When I receive the settlement will she be entitled to any of it?

You have an attorney.

It will be better for you to ask your attorney all questions, and seek clarification from your attorney of record.

He or she knows more about you and your business than a stranger could ever pretend to know.

There is much more to my situation that I'm unable to include here now.

I am unable to judge you, buddy.
Only you know what has been done to you.
If your health or life is being jeopardized (or neglected), I suggest you report it to your physician, your attorney, or the local police.

Why your physician?

Doctors today are asking patients about domestic violence and that is a very important channel that can get you help and keep your business confidential.

"Do you feel safe at home?"

It can feel like a strange question to be asked when you've come in because you're having chest pain, or because you've cut your finger.

But, doctors are supposed to ask – because this visit could be a brief window of opportunity to connect a victim to resources. Domestic violence has a major impact on people's health.

"There's heightened risk for everything from heart disease to asthma to mood disorders, and this is life-long prevalence for people who are victims," said Marcella Slick. She heads an initiative at Lutheran Settlement House in Philadelphia which places domestic violence counselors directly in hospitals.

A lot of doctors agree that this is a really important topic to bring up – but it can get pretty daunting.

"How do you do that in a timely fashion, and in a way that's sensitive, and doesn't seem like it's part of a script, how do you do it and have something to refer them to?" wondered Whitney Cabey, an emergency room physician. She's currently on a Robert Wood Johnson fellowship researching the role of social services in the ER setting.

Family physician Anita Ravi makes sure she explains that she is not singling a patient out. "I always say 'domestic violence is a common health issue that we can help people with, and connect them to resources, so I always ask all of my patients,'" she explained.

See the following link for the article that included the above information.

Doctors asking about domestic violence is important, but daunting - WHYY

Since you haven't filed for divorce and we don't know when you'll get the settlement, there is no way to answer your question intelligently.

Thank you for the answers I received here. I am at such a low point right now I feel as though I'm suffocating. Our relationship never should have happened but when she became pregnant I was never going to leave her to raise my son alone. This is embarrassing to admit but her and I never had sex again after his birth and he is 18 years old this year. I made the huge mistake of allowing her to talk me into marriage 7 years after his birth. I did it so I could add her to my health insurance policy, and as she kept putting it "so that our son would not be thought of as a bastard" and we wouldn't have to explain why her last name is different. And still never had sex after we married at the local City Hall. I just recently realized that our marriage was never consumated. I'm stupid for marrying someone I had no business being with, I know that. I just never wanted him to grow up without his father by his side. I'm sorry if this is to personal and boring but since I have no one to talk to in my life, I just wanted to tell someone because I've never spoken of it before ever so thanks for reading it if you did. The reason my lawyer can't help is because he doesn't do divorce cases. However; I did ask him by email if he could put some language in my settlement paperwork indicating that it shouldn't be considered community property, before it's submitted to the judge for approval but I have not heard back. Bless you for hearing me out.

"so that our son would not be thought of as a bastard" and we wouldn't have to explain why her last name is different.

If someone told me that, I'd have to walk slowly away before I began to giggle, snicker, and titter in the fashion of 5 year old kindergartners.

I feel your pain, brother, truly I do.

I'm sorry if this is to personal and boring but since I have no one to talk to in my life, I just wanted to tell someone because I've never spoken of it before ever so thanks for reading it if you did.

It didn't bore me, mate, it just made me share your pain.

I suggest you seek a divorce so you can once more feel the joy and not the sadness of this all too fleeting life we all try to live.

The reason my lawyer can't help is because he doesn't do divorce cases.

I'm by no means instructing you, because you are an adult.
That said, it might not be too late to speak to and engage a family law attorney.

Whatever you decide, I wish you peace in all your endeavors.

Thank you for the answers I received here. I am at such a low point right now I feel as though I'm suffocating. Our relationship never should have happened but when she became pregnant I was never going to leave her to raise my son alone. This is embarrassing to admit but her and I never had sex again after his birth and he is 18 years old this year. I made the huge mistake of allowing her to talk me into marriage 7 years after his birth. I did it so I could add her to my health insurance policy, and as she kept putting it "so that our son would not be thought of as a bastard" and we wouldn't have to explain why her last name is different. And still never had sex after we married at the local City Hall. I just recently realized that our marriage was never consumated. I'm stupid for marrying someone I had no business being with, I know that. I just never wanted him to grow up without his father by his side. I'm sorry if this is to personal and boring but since I have no one to talk to in my life, I just wanted to tell someone because I've never spoken of it before ever so thanks for reading it if you did. The reason my lawyer can't help is because he doesn't do divorce cases. However; I did ask him by email if he could put some language in my settlement paperwork indicating that it shouldn't be considered community property, before it's submitted to the judge for approval but I have not heard back. Bless you for hearing me out.

This is unrelated to you current matter, but I would strongly suggest therapy for you. Your apparent inability to understand your own role in your family relationship(s) is truly concerning.

Back