Corporate Law Workers Comp needed for Sub/Independant Contractors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicknickis3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I own/operate a high end detailing company. I'm set up as a registered Sole Proprietorship as I'm the only worker at this point.

I've been contacted by a large high end dealership that would like to acquire my services. They'd like everything to be done in house at their dealership. I will be hiring individual detailer on a 1099(subcontractor) basis to perform the work on behalf of my company.

I've gone over many of my states laws and have found a wealth of information on the subject, I'd like a bit of clarification as well as any insight on my best/least costly course of action.

As stated, these will be subs or independant contractors, not employees. My assumption is my general liability and garage keepers will cover them performing work for me?? Will I need to carry workers comp for myself or will they need to carry it themselves? Will both of us be required to carry workers comp? Will they need to acquire their own general liability?

Any help is greatly appreciated, let me know if you need additional information.

Nick

You should speak with a lawyer in person about this.

This is too complicated for a proper answer in this forum.

This is, after all, your business.

A mistake here could ruin you financially.

New Jersey law is very particular about these matters.

The dealership might have some vicarious liability in this, too.

So, belly up to the bar, and hire a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back