Work From Home - Attendance Warning For Internet Outage

NateMcarrdle89

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I work from home for a virtual call center based in California. I have recently been plagued with internet issues at my home due to line issues at the Internet Providers pole(A tree branch fell on a line) and a computer failure. When I first started the position I didn't have many problems with the internet, but now that winter has come, I have been plagued with intermittent connectivity.

I just received my first attendance warning and I am worried that if I continue to drop calls due to the internet they will be forced to let me go. I will not be able to drive for another 3 months due to a license suspension. This limits my job prospects to about a 20 mile radius. I've never had problems finding employment, but finding a good paying job in a town with high unemployment is going to be tough, not that this really matters in the unemployment case.

I'm looking for professional opinions on whether you believe I will be able to receive UI benefits in PA. My employer is known for denying benefits in all situations. If it comes down to that I will be seeking representation.

I really enjoy this site and if/when the time comes, I will certainly support the page by choosing representation from this post. You're all awesome for offering your professional assistance for free on these basic questions(Not Pandering).

Thank you for taking the time out to read and reply to this post.

It would certainly be legal for you to be let go because of your computer and internet troubles but it's not something that would disqualify you for unemployment compensation.

Your employer doesn't get to "deny" you benefits, the state does based on the cause for termination. The employer can say anything he wants to challenge your claim but the facts will speak for themselves.

If you don't get benefits as a result of your initial claim there are several levels of appeal available.

You wrote that you received a warning. Have you responded to that warning with documentation of your computer and internet troubles? If not, I suggest that you do so and get it on record with your employer.

Unfortunately, here's something that might have a more negative effect on your benefits than anything your employer might say.

I will not be able to drive for another 3 months due to a license suspension. This limits my job prospects to about a 20 mile radius.

According to the PA UI handbook you may be disqualified if you do not have a way to get to a job or refuse suitable work without a valid reason (not valid to you but valid to the state).

I suggest you read the handbook so you can be prepared for any eventuality:

Home

Thank you for the response. Thats a lifts some weight off my shoulders. I think I should be okay with the unemployment as long as I am applying for all the positions available to me. My problem isnt so much applying to the local job market and getting there(I have about a 20 mile radius of reliable transportation). It's more about supporting myself while I apply and get into one of the few good paying jobs in the area. It always takes a few weeks to get in to a decent paying job in this area.

From my understanding, I'll apply to at least 2 jobs per week and attend our employment training center for required classes, seminars, etc. I should be able to apply to the higher paying positions and as I don't hear responses I would need to lower my expectations to meet the quota, right?

I will have my Associates in Network Administration and Security in 5 weeks and I am currently A+ certified, so I'm hoping I can be kind of picky starting out.

Thank you for the response. Thats a lifts some weight off my shoulders. I think I should be okay with the unemployment as long as I am applying for all the positions available to me. My problem isnt so much applying to the local job market and getting there(I have about a 20 mile radius of reliable transportation). It's more about supporting myself while I apply and get into one of the few good paying jobs in the area. It always takes a few weeks to get in to a decent paying job in this area.

From my understanding, I'll apply to at least 2 jobs per week and attend our employment training center for required classes, seminars, etc. I should be able to apply to the higher paying positions and as I don't hear responses I would need to lower my expectations to meet the quota, right?

I will have my Associates in Network Administration and Security in 5 weeks and I am currently A+ certified, so I'm hoping I can be kind of picky starting out.
Nope, sorry, hate to burst your bubble. You can't afford to be picky, especially with just an A+.

It would not be illegal to terminate you for attendance due to internet problems. If you would get terminated, file for UI - the state will decide if you qualify. Follow the instructions in the handbook.

Nope, sorry, hate to burst your bubble. You can't afford to be picky, especially with just an A+.

I understand I'm not going to get a Network Admin job or anything on that level, but every help desk job in my area requires at an Associates and an A+ and Net+ which I'm going for in 3 weeks. I currently have 2 years of help desk experience and a year of Tier 2 support at an ISP. Are you saying that I have to apply to all jobs and not ones that are in my field? I know with my skill level it is very reasonable to expect to secure an entry level I.T position.

It would not be illegal to terminate you for attendance due to internet problems. If you would get terminated, file for UI - the state will decide if you qualify. Follow the instructions in the handbook.

I'll definitely do that. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that as I love my current job, but I wanted to jump on this as soon as possible. I plan to keep this job as long as I can and I hope that I dont have to use the safety net. If I do, I'd really like to get the most out of it by applying for reasonable entry level I.T positions first. I'll read through the handbook and see what they say about it. Thank You!

I am in no way as sure as AJ that you would be eligible for UI. You need to be able to work, actively looking for work and available to accept work if offered. If you are limited to jobs that you can do from home because you have no license, and if your internet usage is spotty enough to cause this level of problem, how do you intend to conduct a job search, and how available will you be if you are offered something?

I understand I'm not going to get a Network Admin job or anything on that level, but every help desk job in my area requires at an Associates and an A+ and Net+ which I'm going for in 3 weeks. I currently have 2 years of help desk experience and a year of Tier 2 support at an ISP. Are you saying that I have to apply to all jobs and not ones that are in my field? I know with my skill level it is very reasonable to expect to secure an entry level I.T position.
You'll be working help desk or maybe as a break-fix tech. Don't get your hopes up.

I am in no way as sure as AJ that you would be eligible for UI. You need to be able to work, actively looking for work and available to accept work if offered. If you are limited to jobs that you can do from home because you have no license, and if your internet usage is spotty enough to cause this level of problem, how do you intend to conduct a job search, and how available will you be if you are offered something?

I initially stated that I'd be available in a 20 mile radius, but after looking over the handbook it looks like the requirement is 45 minutes. That works out fine.

The ISP has grown more and more unreliable(missed those 2 days because of intermittent speeds) and the tree falling on the line as mentioned previously caused the internet to be out for 3 days because a bucket truck was needed to resolve the issue and I have to work from my residence per company policy. I tried to work from a friends house and they said it was a no go. I only chose the at-home job in particular because it gave me more experience in my field than continuing to be a CNC operator would have.

I was concerned that I would be required to apply for a lesser paying job right off the bat. That would have made paying the bills rough as we are currently a single income family while my fiance finishes up her coursework. I doubt it will get to that point as I have been with the company for a few years, but I just wanted some reassurance and to see if anyone else had ever been in this position.

It would certainly be legal for you to be let go because of your computer and internet troubles but it's not something that would disqualify you for unemployment compensation.

Your employer doesn't get to "deny" you benefits, the state does based on the cause for termination. The employer can say anything he wants to challenge your claim but the facts will speak for themselves.

If you don't get benefits as a result of your initial claim there are several levels of appeal available.

You wrote that you received a warning. Have you responded to that warning with documentation of your computer and internet troubles? If not, I suggest that you do so and get it on record with your employer.

Unfortunately, here's something that might have a more negative effect on your benefits than anything your employer might say.

According to the PA UI handbook you may be disqualified if you do not have a way to get to a job or refuse suitable work without a valid reason (not valid to you but valid to the state).

I suggest you read the handbook so you can be prepared for any eventuality:

Home

Yup, I explained what happened and they put it in the system as an ISP issue. I responded to the warning simply by agreeing that the ISP has been much less reliable than they have been in the past.

Thank you for the straight forward reply. I felt the 20 mile radius was plenty to keep me busy on the applications, but I see in the handbook what you are talking about. I assumed the handbook was for after you were already on so I have been blowing it off. Thank you for the resources.

You'll be working help desk or maybe as a break-fix tech. Don't get your hopes up.

Yeah, Im not planning on doing anything more than break/fix starting out. I want to make sure I apply for the positions that have places for promotion to an Administrator position. That's why I asked about the application requirements. I found the answers in the handbook though. Thanks for the reply

As far as searching for suitable positions, you must apply for those for which you have the skills and training, not just your dream job in your preferred field. Obviously, you don't need to apply for jobs requiring a CPA as you have neither the training nor experience for such a job. While you might be hoping to land a job in your field of study which uses your newly acquired skills, you can not expect to collect benefits while such a job materializes.

Back