Corporate Law Work for Hire-Verbal Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia6

4 years ago, I started up a company in California. I hired an artist to do sculpting work for me. She quoted me one price and came back with double that amount after she completed the work. We compromised and met in the middle. I paid her a certain $ amount per item and we agreed that I would pay her commission on the back end to make up for the fair market price. We never discussed the commission percentage or cap, nor did we discuss her having shares in the company. All of our dealings together were verbal. We agreed to agree at a later date.

I have finally found investors and I had offered her commissions with a cap. The cap, in my opinion, is very generous, approximately $1,000.00 over what I would have paid outright to any other artist.

Her husband called me last night and informed me that his wife was under the impression that she had 50% of the company as she has the intellecutal rights (I have put in all of the money to date and she has not contributed any money.)

Do they have the right to sue me for any portion of the company?

Thanks for your advice.

Work for Hire

PS. to my original post. I have had these works of art copyrighted under my new Company name in the State of Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back