Work done on my home

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahedrick85

I had an agreement with a friend for her son (17) to do some work on my house to make some money. My friend and her son agreed to the list of work that I needed done and a price for the work to be done (by email). Her son adn his dad came out to the house to look and see what needed to be done adn gave me a list of materials that I needed to purchase. They told me it would take about a week to complete the tasks on my list. This was on February 1, 2011. The week before last they half way completed a few items on my list (no task 100% complete) the son and his dad came by my work and told me that i owed them $900 more than the original agreement and NOTHING has been completed.

The dad is calling me everyday wanting this money. I told him that I did not agree to that amount and he said that there was more work involved than he thought. I asked why he didnt stop working and call me before doing the "extra work" , tell me how much it was going to cost to see if I wanted it done or could afford to have it done.

I need help knowing what my obligations are, the amount I agreed to even though nothing has been completed, it has taken alot longer than agreed to or the amount that he is telling me that i owe him.

I had an agreement with a friend for her son (17) to do some work on my house to make some money. My friend and her son agreed to the list of work that I needed done and a price for the work to be done (by email). Her son adn his dad came out to the house to look and see what needed to be done adn gave me a list of materials that I needed to purchase. They told me it would take about a week to complete the tasks on my list. This was on February 1, 2011. The week before last they half way completed a few items on my list (no task 100% complete) the son and his dad came by my work and told me that i owed them $900 more than the original agreement and NOTHING has been completed.

The dad is calling me everyday wanting this money. I told him that I did not agree to that amount and he said that there was more work involved than he thought. I asked why he didnt stop working and call me before doing the "extra work" , tell me how much it was going to cost to see if I wanted it done or could afford to have it done.

I need help knowing what my obligations are, the amount I agreed to even though nothing has been completed, it has taken alot longer than agreed to or the amount that he is telling me that i owe him.

He may take you to small claims over this.
Never do business unless you put every detail into a written contract.
However, the lack of a contract helps you, too.
You can hire someone else to finish the work.
Get it in writing and hire a reputable contractor.
If he sues you, you can claim his inability to perform caused you to hire someone else to do the work at a higher price.
He won't win, you will (assuming he sues).
The lesson here is don't try to do things on the cheap by hiring kids and friends to do the work.
They will always screw you.

What do I need to do about payment on the amount that he says I owe him. Do i pay what I agreed to pay even though all of the work has not been finished or do i not pay him and wait to see if he is going to take it to court?

What do I need to do about payment on the amount that he says I owe him. Do i pay what I agreed to pay even though all of the work has not been finished or do i not pay him and wait to see if he is going to take it to court?

I can't tell you what to do about that.

That is your decision.

If it were MY decision, I'd have never hired these jackleg contractors.

But, if I had teh decision to make, I'd pay them and make them go away.

I'd hire a real contractor and pay him to do the work.

Then I'd sue these bums for the delta and delay that this caused me.

I might not prevail, but I'd enjoy watching these deadbeat con-men twist in the wind!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back