Won't give access to the house

J

Jane D

Jurisdiction
Florida
I hired a broker because I decided to sell the house after all. The persons (disabled ex-dtr-in-law) residing there let him come in and take photos, measurements and look at the place, that was two weeks ago.

Broker requested keys to place a lock box, request was refused and won't return calls. Told broker since she is hearing impaired, they do not want strangers in the house at all times due to safety concerns, since they cannot hear but will allow prospective buyers to come by with 24-72 hours notice.

Is this legal, can they refuse to provide keys for a lock box? Do I have any rights since the broker was going on my behalf.

He has gone buy twice and no on has answered the door. We usually communicate by email.

If you own the home, the solution is to evict the person occupying your home.

Even if you sold it, I suspect she won't leave voluntarily.

Is this legal, can they refuse to provide keys for a lock box? Do I have any rights since the broker was going on my behalf.

You're a landlord and you have to ask that question? Have you never read the Florida landlord tenant statute?

Read it now:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Especially this part about Landlord's access:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Then go back and read the whole thing again and learn your remedies.

You don't have keys to your own property? Yikes. Kiss of death.

Since they are disabled and not responding I suggest that YOU (the owner) call a locksmith and the police for a civil standby while you go over there and have the doors opened.

Bring your notice of termination (for cause - it'll be in the statute) and serve it personally (with a witness who can later testify in court if necessary) and start preparing for filing eviction through the courts.

Don't even think about putting the place on the market until you get these people out.

You might as well hire yourself a lawyer as you have already made several amateur landlord mistakes and are likely to make more if you try to handle this yourself.

Back