Won Small Claim Case -- Garnishment but No Defendant Info

jiwonstr

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
Hello

I won a small claim case against my defendant - by default. He never bothered to show up to any of the hearing sessions.

I have the judgment and he owes me $2600. The problem is that I sent him multiple mails to the address but it never got to him - it was returned without signature - even with a certified mail.

I do not know him. He ran my vehicle. Totally stranger until that moment. The address on his state ID and police report are different for some reason. I've been sending him mails to the one on police report.

I was told I can begin the garnishment process but I do not know his employer nor bank. Without those information, how can I begin the garnishment process so I can claim the payments?

Should I be sending mails to the address on his state ID (different from driver's license)?

Really confused and frustrated. Thank you all!

I was told I can begin the garnishment process but I do not know his employer nor bank. Without those information, how can I begin the garnishment process so I can claim the payments?

Collecting on a Judgment is often impossible.
Nevertheless, collecting is more difficult than prevailing in court.

Some judgment holders hire a PI, skip tracer, etc... to locate the defendant. It'll cost you a percentage of the judgment. That said, 70% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Some defendants end up filing a bankruptcy. If yours does that, you'll never receive one US dollar.

Most of these people are unemployed or hold low wage paying jobs.

No one can squeeze blood from a rock, or money from flat broke, poorer than Job's turkey, defendant!!!

Additional Information:

Hawaii JUDGMENT ENFORCEMENT | JUDGMENT ENFORCEMENT

Hawaii Revised Statutes 584-17 – Enforcement of judgment or order » LawServer

Execution of a Hawaii Judgment Against the Judgment Debtor's Real or Personal Property in Hawaii

Judgment Enforcement in Pakala Village Hawaii

You can't.

What you have is known as an uncollectible judgment, a piece of paper suitable for wrapping fish or lining a bird cage.

I had several during the years that I had rentals. The defendants also didn't bother appearing and disappeared into the misty mist and the dusky dusk.

If you can't find him and his employer and his bank, your judgment is worthless.

I'm guessing you didn't have collision coverage.

Try searching this website It's free.

https://www.usphonebook.com/

Very up to date , cell and land lines, current and former address, and much more.
It's not particularly accurate, although it may be close. For example, it shows my wife when I type in my number (cell) and it shows my daughter (who hasn't lived at home in over a decade) when I type in my home number. Additionally, when I type in my father-in-law's cell number, it shows my name (because he's on my cell plan).

My main number brings up my name. I've had the number for about 15 years. It was originally a land line, now cell.

My other cell number that I've had for a couple of years comes up no record, thankfully.

Back