Won Logo Competition...Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfull

Hi Everybody..this is my first post and have a question.

I am employed by a very unique company (with 125 - 130 employees) that produces a product that no one else in the world makes. Our product is shipped all over the world and is in very high demand. Our company is new, but is forecasted to be making very significant profits in the years to come. (we are already making a profit after being in production for one year)

My background with this company includes begining employment 1 1/2 years ago as a lower level hourly employee. I am now in a middle management salaried position. I love what I do and the people that I work with. I am very happy with the benefits that they provide, and am very loyal to our company.

About three months ago, the owners put on a contest to let the employees have a shot at coming up with a logo for our product that will be the brand identification for our product. They thought that they would try to get some ideas from us, submit them to a marketing agency, and see what they thought. If none of them worked, the professionals were to try to come up with one that would work for us. The prize was said to be announced by the owners group if any of our ideas were used.

I drew up a piece of art along with a new name for the product.

They have decided to use my product name, (which is VERY exciting to me) but do not know if they will be using my art.

I have yet to sit down with the owners or upper management to find out what my prize is or what they are going to offer me. I have no idea as to what they have in mind.

My question is....

What should I ask for? What do or how do marketing companies get compensated for designing a logo for a company?

I am not greedy, I just want to know what kind of entitlement would be fair?

Are there trademark laws involved here?

Do I just thank God that I have a job in this economy and if they offer me a $100 gift certificate to Sportsmens Warehouse..take it?

I did not sign any trademark or logo legal documents or anything of that nature regarding trademark rights (?) or anything when I turned in my logo.

So after this lengthy post, I guess that my questions are both legal and a what-would-any-of-you-do situation.

Thank you for taking you time to read this.

1. Never negotiate for something after you've done all the work.

2. Were you told to do this during work hours or after hours? If it's during work hours, then it's work you made in the course of your employment and they would own the product of your work (in all likelihood, barring some exceptions and possibly if you are an independent contractor.)

Hopefully they will give you something nice. It's disappointing that they can't even think of what to reward you for your efforts but were very happy to take what you provided. Let us know more about your situation and what happens in the office.

Thank you very much for your reply.

The more that I think about this situation, the more that I am thanking God that I have a great job that I really enjoy. It helps certainly helps my ego that our customers all over the world will be reading the name of our product that I came up with!

I thanks the owners for;

1. Giving all of the employees the oppurtunity to participate in such a contest, and

2. That they chose one of ours.

I think that this decision on their part will keep our morale as a company up and allow us to feel as though we are contributing to the company as a whole, and recieving praise for it.

A very motivational situation for all of us.

If you're well compensated and they do something nice, that's good for morale and hopefully they will come through. I've just provided to you the law and it's understandable, especially if you did the work during work hours and got paid already to do the work.

Good luck to you, glad that you're happy where you are at and have a fine job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back