Consumer Fraud Woman scammed several hair salons not paying for cut and style

maputoski

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi everybody. Our salon in New Jersey was visited by a woman who received a cut, color and style for her hair . After the service, she told my staff that she forgot her pocketbook in the car and left to get it. She never returned. A fellow salon owner posted a photo of the woman and it appears to be the same freeloader my staff serviced earlier. My cousin owns a salon in New York City and she says it is worse there and that fraud and failure to pay and shoplifting are rampant.

What do I need to do if the police catch this woman to get our money back? What kids of actions can we take to prevent it from happening? I really don't want to require large deposits prior to service. And even having them might not cover the service. Can I require people to have an official ID that must be presented when they enter the salon?

What do I need to do if the police catch this woman to get our money back?

Two possibilities: (1) sue her (probably won't be productive); or (2) make a claim with any crime victims' compensation fund that might (or might not) exist.

What kids of actions can we take to prevent it from happening?

Require payment in advance.

Can I require people to have an official ID that must be presented when they enter the salon?

Sure you can.

One other option is to request that the offender be required to pay restitution as a part of their sentence. This would actually be more likely to net you your money than suing the person.

What do I need to do if the police catch this woman to get our money back?

If the police capture and charge any offender, that doesn't necessarily signal that you can recover one red cent.

You can attempt to sue the scammer/conwoman in civil court, but scammers and shysters seem unfazed about their FICO score.

What kids of actions can we take to prevent it from happening?

Prostitutes and drug dealers DEMAND that their clientele PAY before any goods, services, or merchandise transfers hands!

Can I require people to have an official ID that must be presented when they enter the salon?

Sure, you can ask to see a potential clients ID before serving him, her, or it.

That said, you might just drive away your HONEST clientele.

Next time, you or your employee should walk out to the car with the customer. If she doesn't pay take a photo of her and her license plate.

All good answers. This has now happened near me a couple of times. Unfortunately , there is virtually no scenario I can see where it makes sense for you to expend further efforts to recover the money as your investment will likely exceed the $100-200 return, if that is what you charged. Best you can do here might be to share information with police and other local community groups to prevent others from being harmed and hopefully even arrested . (Being held for petty theft in NYC is virtually non-existent these days, even recidivists, not sure about by you in NJ.)

Your question about prevention is probably one that will prove to be more useful. That is a business decision. Showing ID doesn't hurt but it will only be useful if you can obtain a copy, which might not be comfortable to many of your patrons. If you've got regulars (and you can often see from their phone numbers for booking), you can be more wary of newcomers by having a small deposit on larger appointments. Otherwise, sadly, this might be a cost of doing business.

Hi everybody. Our salon in New Jersey was visited by a woman who received a cut, color and style for her hair . After the service, she told my staff that she forgot her pocketbook in the car and left to get it. She never returned. A fellow salon owner posted a photo of the woman and it appears to be the same freeloader my staff serviced earlier. My cousin owns a salon in New York City and she says it is worse there and that fraud and failure to pay and shoplifting are rampant.

What do I need to do if the police catch this woman to get our money back? What kids of actions can we take to prevent it from happening? I really don't want to require large deposits prior to service. And even having them might not cover the service. Can I require people to have an official ID that must be presented when they enter the salon?

One solution is to start having your clients pay up front.

One solution is to start having your clients pay up front.
Yes, and that was suggested above.

Another suggestion would be to have new clients fill out information sheets, including home address, phone number(s) and email address(es). You might offer an electronic newsletter and occasional discounts or a loyalty program as well.

Back