Withholding Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

magareb

Good Morning,

I would like to know my rights. I am in a N.Y.C.H.A complex with 4 children (15,13,7 and 4). I have been without an operating refrigerator going on 3 months now. We have had mold on the walls of our bedroom and bathroom for the last 2 years now. They did finally come to scrape and paint the walls in September, but to no avail. That has returned. My wife has sent in numerous requests to have the refrigerator fixed or replaced and we wash the walls down weekly. When she has called for status, she is told she has to call the "central" office. She is then told they will do a follow up with the manager (by email) and that is all they can do. I have not paid November rent and I would like NOT to pay rent (legally) if it is possible from here on until we can have these issues rectified. What is the way for me to go about doing this? Also, is it possible for me to just go and get my refrigerator and charge it against my rent considering they are not responding?

You need to pay your rent. You can sue your landlord to try and regain a portion of what you have paid and to force the repairs. You could also buy a comparable refrigerator and give your landlord the bill.

As stated you need to pay rent. Not all states have provisions for rent withholding. You can face evcition if your state does not or you did not follow correct procedure. Call your local Health department have them inpsect and test your mold. Not all mold is dangerous. If the fridge is the property of Landlord then you may have an issue you can take to either housing or an Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back