Withholding my deposit for roommate's debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkopy

I am hoping to get some legal advice, as I am livid about this current situation. Please forgive me for the length of this post.

I lived in a 4-bedroom apt on a month-to-month agreement until Dec 31, 2009. The others in the apt moved in at different times. There was no credit check, but I did fill out a rental agreement upon moving in (although I no longer have a copy). I notified the landlord within 30 days that I would be moving out, and she assured me I would be receiving my deposit afterward.

I moved out, and spoke with her on Jan 12, at which point I gave her my new address and she told me she would mail the check. I didn't receive it. After 2 weeks, I called her again and got no answer. I repeated this process for about 3-4 weeks, leaving messages every time with all of my contact info. Nothing.

Finally, I read up about the CA tenant law, and decided to send her a formal letter. It said that if the deposit wasn't returned within 10 days, I would be taking her to court. It also specified CA law, that she owes me the deposit or a statement within 21 days of moving out. Otherwise, she has no right to keep any of the deposit.

Today, just before the 10 days were up, I decided to give her one last call. To my surprise, she answered. She said that she had mailed me a letter to my OLD address saying that she was withholding my deposit because of my roommate's past due rent. We didn't sign a lease together, but she mentioned some kind of law that says since we are paying for the unit together (and not by separate rooms), I am responsible. Bogus.

As you can understand, I am absolutely livid right now. Does she have any right to do this? I never signed any agreement with my past roommates, so should I be legally responsible for their debts? Isn't it also her own negligence for not performing a credit check before new tenants move in? Additionally, I know for a fact that the landlord is lying about mailing the letter to my old address, since I came by many times to check for mail since then.

I am planning on taking her to court, but I desperately need some legal advice on this issue. Thanks!

You gave her notice. Follow through and take her to court. You provided her with an updated address when you left and she failed to provide you with an itemized list of damages within the specified time. I don't believe your roommate's past due rent is a legitimate reason to withhold a security deposit. Her option for that is to take him to court.
If you stick to your guns you will probably find that she will refund your deposit before it is time to go to court. Don't accept anything short of a full refund unless legitimate damages are documented... however since she failed to return your deposit or give you notice in a timely manner, you may be able to collect double damages.
Most likely she will pay up once you serve papers to go to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back