Withheld Paychecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

timelord69

If you are an independent contractor, and the company suspects you submitted false billing for lodging which is reimbursed, can they withhold your final checks to make up what they suspect you over billed for?

If you are an independent contractor, and the company suspects you submitted false billing for lodging which is reimbursed, can they withhold your final checks to make up what they suspect you over billed for?

The dirty little secret of contracting: the employer isn't an employer, it's a customer. You're not an employee, you're a contractor.

Your customer can stop paying you. If they do that, you'll have to take them to small claims court (or a higher level court) in an attempt to get some of your monies owed.

Working as a contractor can be very risky.

Yes, in your example, your customer can withhold monies due on your invoice. Read your contract. If that happens, you must sue in an attempt to recover the funds. Most people just let it go, it's too hard to sue successfully, and most of the time, your contract is simply terminated.

On a personal note, OP, I can't tell you how many times I've been stiffed before I got smart as a younger lawyer.
Its one reason an older, more experienced lawyer told me, always demand a retainer; get paid up front.
Once I started that practice, it stopped the bleeding.
Occasionally I get stiffed these days, but that's because I still try to help family and friends, silly me.

Anyway, I hope you work this out, get your money, and keep your contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back