Wisconsin Civil Demand: Shoplifted at (dept. store)

Jjjayy

I am 20 years old and recently I was stupid and shoplifted because I thought I could get away. I stoled two items that total to be 25$ so both of the item's value were under 20$. But as i finished my checkout and was on my way out the door, a Loss Prevention dude stopped me and asked me to take out the cosmetics I didn't pay for. Then I gave him the items I took when he asked, And then he took me to the security room along with two other employees--who I assumed would have "evidence" of me stealing.. Then after he just asked me for my license and wrote down my address and other information from my license. Then after, he said that there will be no police involved along with no charges. He just told me my name will be put in their system for later occurrences if I were to shoplift again. And he just handed me a page of the Wisconsin Civil Statute about the petty theft I did. I was calm and the items I gave back to him were not damaged at all and still "sell-able" and in their cases. I didn't have to sign anything but just left with the paper in hand. After that two weeks later a mail came in for me stating that they are demanding me to pay them $200 in 30 days. But I'm not sure what I should do, I can't afford it now and I don't want to throw away $200 if it's just a scam or not worth paying for. And the second thing is that the security guy didn't tell me to sign anything, I'm not even sure if they had evidence of me stealing on camera. And I didn't sign anything. So what should I do about the civil demand?

Last edited by a moderator:
But if I do pay, then that means they won't sue me right? Should I get in contact with an attorney?

Last edited:
Civil Demand is a small claims basically which excludes Lawyers. You can certainly consult one though. By the way suing is only one option they have there are others

What are the chances that (dept. store) would take this case into a more serious problem? And if there are so many other options, what are those options? Other than ruining my record so I can't work in retail anymore? Plus I didn't do any damage to the items i returned nor did i take them out of their packaging. So I did not do any other damage except attempt to take the items with me? What other ways would (dept. store) want to charge me for attempting to take the items, but I returned it with no force?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you read link I gave you? Here is another you can read http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59980 what the chances are doesnt matter. If I said 1 in a million would it matter if you were the one!? Are you a gambler? If so then ignore this if not pay it its your call. The law firm that seeks the funds has many options and they can choose one or all to get these funds. I talk to people like you everyday the answer is always the same its in YOUR best interest to pay this. Read teh first link I gave you again its very descriptive on what can happen. By the way naming the store was not very smart!

OP -I removed the name of the store from the title of your thread & your posts for your protection & forum protection.

Back