willy

Status
Not open for further replies.

willy

Need help on property purchase!

I am a U.S. citizen married to a Canadian citizen. I have applied to be a permanent resident and will continue to get my citizenship for Canada. We are purchasing a home in New Brunswick. It will be a cash sale, so there is no morgage. Are there any legal ramifications owning property with my husband in Canada, where I am not a legal citizen yet, and can I be on the deed as part owner? If my name is not on the deed and my husband should die, do I have any legal rights to our property? Would it make it very difficult to sell if I have not gotten my permanent residency by then? I am sure you have heard these questions before from many husband and wife immigrants to Canada. Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
willy said:
I am a U.S. citizen married to a Canadian citizen. I have applied to be a permanent resident and will continue to get my citizenship for Canada. We are purchasing a home in New Brunswick. It will be a cash sale, so there is no morgage. Are there any legal ramifications owning property with my husband in Canada, where I am not a legal citizen yet, and can I be on the deed as part owner? If my name is not on the deed and my husband should die, do I have any legal rights to our property? Would it make it very difficult to sell if I have not gotten my permanent residency by then? I am sure you have heard these questions before from many husband and wife immigrants to Canada. Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

I honestly don't know. In the absence of any specific regulation, I'm not sure why you would be forbidden from owning property in Canada. Whether or not you could actually be in Canada legally is a completely different issue. Do you have an attorney who is dealing with your contract of sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back