Wills

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOLFUS28

This Question Is Directed To Any Laywer Or Legal Counsel
My Grandmother Wishes To Will Her Social Security Over To Me Once She Is Deceaesed What Steps Must I Take To Complete This Process?

GOLFUS28 said:
This Question Is Directed To Any Laywer Or Legal Counsel
My Grandmother Wishes To Will Her Social Security Over To Me Once She Is Deceaesed What Steps Must I Take To Complete This Process?

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean. If your grandmother dies the social security benefits she received will be terminated. You cannot "inherit" social security benefits.

In certain situations someone can be entitled to survivor benefits, like a husband or a wife or a child of someone who received social security benefits. But that is then a different entitlement and will be done pretty automatically by the social security administration upon application.

NYClex, I think you hit it on the head. The benefits of social security are not yours even though you pay "into" the fund while working. Social security is distributed to you when you are alive but someone's heirs do not get to take what may have been paid into the fund by the person while working beyond what was distributed to them while they were alive. So for example, if someone paid $20,000 into social security but only was alive to receive $10,000 in benefits, that person's heirs will not receive the "additional" $10K paid into the fund.

NYClex said:
I am not quite sure I understand what you mean. If your grandmother dies the social security benefits she received will be terminated. You cannot "inherit" social security benefits.

In certain situations someone can be entitled to survivor benefits, like a husband or a wife or a child of someone who received social security benefits. But that is then a different entitlement and will be done pretty automatically by the social security administration upon application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back