Will not fix Electric issues just replaces breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtraChrisp

This could be a BIG FIRE issue. The breakers keep blowing and we switch them over and over. When they get burnt up the landlord replaces them. All plug ins are on one breaker. Some lights flicker on and off. Me and my girlfriend are on disability and cannot afford an electrician to come out and fix it properly. The landlords electrician is a friend of the landlords and switches the breakers out for free. The landlord does not want to pay to have the plug ins divided properly so the will not burn the breakers up and cause a fire. We are in fear for our lives. He has already had a house burn down that he owned. The electric box is on the outside of the house where the elements can get to it like rain and moisture. We are sometimes afraid to touch them for fear of electrical shock. 4 people have to sleep in one room so we do not freeze to death and have electical cords running from all parts of the house tryin to find a plug in that is not on the same breaker to plug heaters into. he has every plug-in for a 3 bedroom house on one breaker. 30 amps for TVs, computer, VCR's, heat, DVD, bathroom appliance and kitchen appliances.The heater use 10 amps and the breakers our suppose to hold 30 but because they are burnt up from the elements and high voltage running through it all the time, they break up and cannot be switched correctly and sizzle and spark when you try to switch them off and on. They have the air conditioning unplugged and willl be much worse when summer gets here. Can someone please give us advice or if thier is some kind of code inforcement we could call or legal steps we can take. This information would be very helpful. Thank you.We do not want to get SHOCKED:eek:

Well by god, I would think he would have to fix it. You pay rent don't you?

You can take them to court and get an order making them fix it before you burn to death in your sleep.

Have you looked for a new home?

I think you are more concerned about your EXPENSIVE electronic equipment that an electrical fire...first, make sure your smoke detectors work properly and have proper batteries; then get surge protectors for all of your electronic equipment and check your renter's insurance coverage.

Depending on the age of the property, you may have too many electric "appliances" for the load and the landlord does NOT have to re-wire the property for your convenience.

....and yes, you need to find another rental home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back