Deportation, Re-entry Will INS deport me because of my 1st DUI arrest!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me9uill0ry

Hello there

I have been living in Colorado state peacefully since I got my green card 9 years ago. My green card was based on marriage.
On September of 2009 I got arrested for a DUI. I had no criminal record in the both Japan and USA, so this was my first arrest ever for any reason. My BAC was 0.137. DA is offering me a deferred FELONY provided probation and alcohol classes, because I ran away from patrol cars when I was pulled over...

My criminal lawyer asks "a misdemeanour" with probation so far...
My lawyer says I may have a bigger problem. Because I am a resident, not a citizen, I could face deportation, the reason is a FELONY.

If I plead guilty to the FELONY then immigration could possible review the case despite deferred judgement.

Is my DUI consider a CIMT? Actually I don't know yet what CIMT mean...
I am really scared if INS actually deports me...

Is this likely to happen to me? If so..., what should I do?
How can I stave off a deportation and stay in Colorado with my family?
Should I hire a immigration lawyer whenever I am deported on a court order!?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

You are getting ahead of yourself a little. If you have the money I would take the plea deal to an immigration attorney to find out the answer to your question. I think if your felony is in deferral you should be ok, but if I were you before I took the deal I would run it by an immigration attorney.

I have already spoken to an Immigration lawyer whom I haven't hire her yet.
There is a 50-50 chance that I may be deported if I am convicted as "deferred FELONY", she told.
She is a business partner of my criminal lawyer.
I am not sure to hire this lawyer... Although we deposit a couple of hundred dollars, she doesn't response to my inquires!

If a plea-bargain is accepted, I am "a misdemeanor with probation" and I can avoid deportation in my future, I know!
If DA doesn't accept his plea-bargaining next week, my criminal lawyer would take my case to a trial.

If we go to a trial and pay extra more couple of hundred or thousand dollars to lawyer,
my husband is wondering whether we can win or lose...???

If I am unlikely to win, I should better accept "deferred FELONY", and I shouldn't go to a trial, should !?

Then I should better and spend money not Criminal but Immigration lawyer.
I should hire a immigration lawyer whenever I am deported on a court order...

What do you think?

You'll need an immigration lawyer eventually. Hire one soon and be proactive, not reactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back