Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Will i Get a notice to appear (shoplifting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatsHappening

My twin was "accused" of shoplifitng at a store. she had an unpaid pair of sunglasses in her hand, the same hand she had her ipod in. knowing her, I know that she was just absentminded. But when they took us in the back she also had a shirt that she had bought there a week ago (she had it just in case she felt self-conscious about the thin shirt she had on).

Now they "understood" the misunderstanding and didn't call the cops. They did however ban her from the store and "kindly" suggested that i do the same. She was hit with a civil penality claim a couple weeks later which she paid because she wanted this cleared before we went off to college.

We are both going to study abroad together. But i'm worried that she will be called to court. My question is will she? the store didn't call the cops but will there be a notice to appear in the mail?

Thank you for your input

Is it more likely that the store will charge criminally is it was a large chain store (out of greed for more restitution) or less likely (because they don't want to be bothered with it)?

They cannot legally get restitution if they already sought and recienved Civil Demand

Thanks for the reply, but re-wording it, would a bigger company more likely to go through court or not? And if they do what would happen if I was out of the country?

You missed what you were told. The store cannot seek restitution if Civil Demand has been paid. It further appears criminal charges were not filed as of yet. In most cases if the store is going to file criminal charges they do so at time of stop not later

WhatsHappening said:
Is it more likely that the store will charge criminally is it was a large chain store (out of greed for more restitution) or less likely (because they don't want to be bothered with it)?

Greed, you mean like walking out of a store with sunglasses you didn't pay for?
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back