Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Will I be charged?

K

Kayleehb

Jurisdiction
New York
So detectives stopped by my house the other day while my parents weren't home. I'm 19 years old and when I saw my little brother answer the door and heard them ask for me, I was immediately nervous. They asked me about an incident that happened a month before and asked if they could come inside. I'm kicking myself now because I should have not made a statement at all.
Basically what happened was it was the first nice day of the year. My two friends and I were at the bay and noticed a really nice pool on the water and even though we saw signs for cameras, we chose to jump in. I know my one friend has a problem with stealing and I noticed one of the doors to the pool house was literally open. I saw this and closed the door hoping he wouldn't notice. He ended up finding it anyway and went in and stole a few bottles of liquor. I was pissed he did this so we all left immediately after. Now I'm super nervous because I gave the detectives this statement.... How could I not when they're showing me pictures of me in the pool and on the property. I did not go there with intent to steal and I did not steal anything. The friend who stole this has already been in jail for a month now on previous charges so I'm wondering do you think they're building a case on him or on me too? Apparently this case has been brought up to him in court but at the time they didn't have enough evidence... Now they do. I thought I was doing the right thing by telling the truth seeing I didn't steal anything. I'm hoping they will let me off easy seeing I have no criminal record... I was the only girl there and also the tape literally shows me closing the doors as to stop him from stealing. And also I told them the truth. What do you think will happen to me ? I'm really stressed

How could I not when they're showing me pictures of me in the pool and on the property.

Very simple. It goes like this: "I do not wish to answer any more questions without my attorney present". This is called absolute right to counsel and once invoked all questioning by the police must cease.

I was the only girl there and also the tape literally shows me closing the doors as to stop him from stealing.

No, it only shows you closing the doors. Why you closed them is only in your head, not on the tape. Get it?

Next time the cops talk to you, keep your mouth shut and hire a lawyer. You could go to jail as an accessory.

So detectives stopped by my house the other day while my parents weren't home. I'm 19 years old and when I saw my little brother answer the door and heard them ask for me, I was immediately nervous. They asked me about an incident that happened a month before and asked if they could come inside. I'm kicking myself now because I should have not made a statement at all.
Basically what happened was it was the first nice day of the year. My two friends and I were at the bay and noticed a really nice pool on the water and even though we saw signs for cameras, we chose to jump in. I know my one friend has a problem with stealing and I noticed one of the doors to the pool house was literally open. I saw this and closed the door hoping he wouldn't notice. He ended up finding it anyway and went in and stole a few bottles of liquor. I was pissed he did this so we all left immediately after. Now I'm super nervous because I gave the detectives this statement.... How could I not when they're showing me pictures of me in the pool and on the property. I did not go there with intent to steal and I did not steal anything. The friend who stole this has already been in jail for a month now on previous charges so I'm wondering do you think they're building a case on him or on me too? Apparently this case has been brought up to him in court but at the time they didn't have enough evidence... Now they do. I thought I was doing the right thing by telling the truth seeing I didn't steal anything. I'm hoping they will let me off easy seeing I have no criminal record... I was the only girl there and also the tape literally shows me closing the doors as to stop him from stealing. And also I told them the truth. What do you think will happen to me ? I'm really stressed

For your sake, I hope you didn't tell the above story to the police.

If you did, your lawyer will have her work cut out for her, if you're indicted or arrested.

When the police next appear, be polite, be courteous, but decline to discuss anything, except to say, "Sorry, I need a lawyer".

Then, no matter what tricks the cops play or try, keep your mouth shut, don't talk about anything related to the other parties ALLEGEDLY involved, or the whole, sordid matter.

Back