Wife wants me to leave, i do not

Status
Not open for further replies.

novarg

My wife wants a divorce, she says we have difted apart and wants me to move out. I do not want a divorce and our house is in both our names. She wants to draw up a agreement to divide our assets and because we have two children, 18, 15, she wants to have me sign over the house to her. We have 5 more yrs to pay off mortage. I have not done anything abusive to her and she has not filed any legal complaints in the 24 yrs we have been married. My question is do I have to move out and what or my options, Thanks for taking the time to help.

Do not sign anything over to her until you have seen an attorney.

I realize you do not want a divorce but you may not have a choice. You really cannot force somebody to stay married.

It is possible you might be able to both split the equity in the house, but if she has not worked much of the marriage, you might wind up paying her some alimony.

You can see if she is interested in attending marriage counselling, but if she does not want to go, really your best bet is to see a divorce attorney.

Most state laws now have a split down the middle approach. You will both get the house even if that means selling getting half the money. She's trying to con you into signing something before you know your rights. Don't fall for it. If she wants the divorce then ask the courts for a fair split down the middle of assets. Depending on how long you have been married, you may have to pay alimony even if she has a job but you will have to do that whether or not your sign the house over. That will be up to the judge to decide.
If she wants to stay and live in the house she will have to buy you out of your half. Don't move out until you file for divorce. If you move and she files first, she can file that you abandoned the family. File first and then move but make sure that in the papers it states that you want half the house.

She is Going to Get Rid of You Regardless of What You Want

Get divorced now. Do NOT sign anything over to her, just give her the half that is due her and that is it. You are going to pay child support anyway. She can afford the house if she wants to keep it.

My wife wants a divorce, she says we have difted apart and wants me to move out. I do not want a divorce and our house is in both our names. She wants to draw up a agreement to divide our assets and because we have two children, 18, 15, she wants to have me sign over the house to her. We have 5 more yrs to pay off mortage. I have not done anything abusive to her and she has not filed any legal complaints in the 24 yrs we have been married. My question is do I have to move out and what or my options, Thanks for taking the time to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back