Wife wants half of escrow refund?

heelfan71

Our divorce stated she received no equity in the house. I just had to refinance the house in my name to remove her. We have been officially divorced for 1 1/2 years. I made the house not for 3 years alone. She paid for 1/2 the house note in January and February of 2012. It was a long divorce obviously but that's a story of its own.... She had to sign a quit claim form at my closing. So now I have a escrow refund check of $4900 that has both our names on it from the old mortgage company..... According to bank, for me to deposit this check, she has to sign a form and the back of the check for me to deposit it. She now claims she is entitled to half. I don't think she is entitled to it. This is in the state if Georgia if that matters.

Also I am wondering if I call the mortgage company and give them copy of divorce decree would they issue check in my name? I'm going to call and see what they say.

That would certainly be the easiest thing to try first.

Ok. Definitely will do that but curious for opinions about the issue. Think she is entitled to it or not?

What we think doesn't matter.
It's what a court would rule, but only after a very annoying trial.
I'm a lawyer, and I hate courtrooms.
Yeah, I know, like a physician hating hospitals, or a teacher hating schools.
As much as I enjoy talking about me, back to you.

If I were you, I'd give her the lousy $2450, but only if she signed a release of all claims against me for the next 100 years, and smile knowing that for less than a nice vacation in the Greek Isles or the sunny coast of France, I've forever insured myself of no more contact from a human being I despise.

Back