Wife Emptied My Bank Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckyguy

Here's my story, my wife and I split 1 year ago, we have a court date set in a couple weeks.

When I initially filed my divorce paperwork, i listed all the bank accounts that had money in them during our marriage. One account had zero, so i didn't list it.

Recently I started using this account and all the money in it was wiped out by my soon to be ex wife. I didn't realize she was still on it.
Is there anything i can do and can I dispute it in court even though it's not an asset listed in the divorce paperwork?

You can ask her to return you the funds, but since she was an authorized user, you cannot claim that she stole the money from you...

You can ask her to return you the funds, but since she was an authorized user, you cannot claim that she stole the money from you...

So when i go to court. Does reason or logic play any part in the judges ruling or is it all based on what's written in black in white.

Black and white: it was a joint account
Logically: It was his hard earned money and she took it all before he could pay bills

You might be able to file a correction to your initial paperwork to show the account you omitted. Be prepared to show the value of the bank account at time of separation and filing, and the value that was in it when wiped out, and when and how you acquired the funds that were deposited, and that it was she who withdrew them. She has a right to division of assets accumulated during the marriage, not necessarily those accumulated after. At the least, the funds she took should be credited against any other division of assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back