Wife "asked out" by a divorce attourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newnoodogs

Just let me know if this question is irrelevant or belongs in another thread.

My wife told me tonight that while at a cookout (I was not in attendance) she was "asked out" by a friend of a friend who happens to be a divorce attorney.

She's been throwing the word "divorce" around since before we even got married, so I wasn't surprised when she started baiting me and commenting how ironic it is, ha-ha-ha, and so forth.

My question is this: is it not an eggregious breach of ethics for a divorce attorney to actively precipitate marital infidelity? It must at least be considered a conflict of interest, right?

My first instinct was to get his name so I could consult with him about retaining his services as my divorce attorney.

I am a babe in the woods as far as the legal system is concerned. What are my options regarding this attorney?

Just let me know if this question is irrelevant or belongs in another thread.

My wife told me tonight that while at a cookout (I was not in attendance) she was "asked out" by a friend of a friend who happens to be a divorce attorney.

She's been throwing the word "divorce" around since before we even got married, so I wasn't surprised when she started baiting me and commenting how ironic it is, ha-ha-ha, and so forth.

My question is this: is it not an eggregious breach of ethics for a divorce attorney to actively precipitate marital infidelity? It must at least be considered a conflict of interest, right?

My first instinct was to get his name so I could consult with him about retaining his services as my divorce attorney.

I am a babe in the woods as far as the legal system is concerned. What are my options regarding this attorney?

Hi, this is Chris Davisson,

Yes, this is definitely a problem. My dad got into an affair and this is how they start... Him and my mom (Joel and Kathy Davisson) help people now who are having marriage troubles like this. If you go to (God save my marriage) you will find help from them as a couple who came out successful after adultery.

God Bless

Why would you consider retaining the service of an attorney whose ethics you simultaneously question?

If both the original post and response aren't from the same spammer, I'll eat my hat.

I wouldn't retain his services. But I think that consulting with him about it would preclude him from representing my wife and making a bunch of money over a situation he helped to create.

Wish I had a porkpie hat. :) What are the odds that a spammer would find a question on point posted a mere half an hour earlier? I'm still not convinced this isn't a put-on - let's see the IP address logs. :)

To the OP: I doubt your local law society has a rule prohibiting the specific conduct complained of. It probably has a general rule that prohibits conduct that detracts from the honour and integrity of the legal profession, or something similar. I suspect that asking out a person who is still married does not rise to that level. It may be personally sleazy, but not professionally unethical.

Nor do I see the lawyer is necessarily in a conflict of interest. He might be precluded from being both her lawyer and her paramour. But at this stage he is neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back