Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Wife an I assaulted - please need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwerl

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate forum.

My wife and I were recently eating at a somewhat new Italian restaurant and our food wasn't right. The manager was really rude and all we wanted was a refund. The manager continued to be hard to deal with and was taking her time refunding our money all the while talking loudly and badly about us. My wife had been calmly dealing with her and finally I spoke up and told her just to give us our damned money back so we could leave.

Suddenly I get a shove on the back of my shoulder and a big guy, mid to late 40s, probably 6'1" or taller and 350+ pounds asks me if I have a problem. I said something to the effect of we were just trying to get a refund and asked him his problem. He shoves me from the front (I'm only 36 years old, clean cut and 5'9" and 175 pounds). All of a sudden I feel an arm come from behind around the back of my neck from a different guy and I'm thrashing around struggling to breathe. 30 seconds or so go by I feel light headed being suffocated and finally get to where I can pop the guy in the head to let me go. He's still close coming toward me so I punch him a couple of times and his nose starts bleeding. He shoved my wife and got blood on her dress. He was about 6' or so and 180-190 pounds late 40s early 50s maybe.

The fight was broken up, we were asked to leave and were told they were calling the cops. We said we were calling them as well. The manager came outside and was still instigating and berating us with her finger in our face telling us to leave and locked the door.

Two policemen arrived and took my statement. They never asked to see my neck after I told them repeatedly I was choked and never asked if I needed paramedics. We had to call paramedics to later take me to the hospital after sitting out in the cold for over an hour.

It could have only been 10-15 minutes and the cop came back to me and said 6 or so eyewitness testimony conflicted with my story. He basically was in interrogation mode and loudly said "well if you were attacked why does the other guy have the bloody nose?!?" I was shocked but said well if a bigger guy is trying to choke me from behind I'm going to defend myself! I'm not thinking clearly at this point to force him to look at my neck. I asked why would I, a much smaller guy who's never been in any trouble attack two bigger guys for no reason? The other two guys aren't pressing charges apparently. Why not if I attacked them? The cops were laughing with them when they were done talking to them. A cop returned what looked like a long blade one of them was carrying under his arm. One of them had a pistol in his vehicle. I had no weapons.

The cops said there was an off duty cop (a very young rookie) in the restaurant and he was sitting at the farthest corner table with his back to us and the register. They said he told them it was our fault. I asked how he could hear and see everything that happened from the back of the restaurant? The officer wouldn't respond to my question. Well, let's see...probably two of the witnesses are the guys spouses, the manager, an employee probably afraid of losing his job, a lot of them probably friends, etc.

One cop interviewed my wife and she was so upset about me being attacked and her getting shoved they told her if she didn't be quiet they'd arrest her. I heard her her tell them twice the guy I punched assaulted her and got blood on her dress. He didn't put this in the report. We found this out later because she demanded to speak to the sergeant in charge and explained to him everything. The cop from the scene said "you never told me you claimed you were assaulted too." My wife said "if you wouldn't have been telling me to shut up and threatening to arrest me you may have gotten it correct." This cop compromised her case by not interviewing witnesses to see if anybody saw her get shoved.

At the ER they took scans and noted multiple abrasions to my neck but luckily found nothing major wrong. About 2 hours after I got out of the ER I went to the station to speak to the sergeant and we filed formal statements. He said he would go back to the business to see if they have any video (doubtful) and review his officer's audio recorders he said they are wearing at all times. He told me when the reports are ready Monday we can take them to the magistrate and file charges and get arrest warrants which we are doing. I don't know what to expect. I'm assuming they get to decide what the guys are charged with. Assault at minimum hopefully. I'm hoping one or both of them have records or have been in altercations before.

What is concerning is we are basically at the mercy of the prosecutor who I'm sure is friendly with the cops and maybe the restaurant and owner. The owner is a very wealthy Italian originally from New York with multiple restaurants around the area. It's not like we can hire our own attorney even if we had a lot of money to pay.

Sorry for the extremely long post and I appreciate in advance any advice you can give.

Ddhdhd

You are not at the mercy of the prosecutor. You are at the mercy of a restaurant full of potential witnesses who are employed there. Your mistake was pissing in their sandbox. I have been threatened with assault in businesses before. the trick is to maintain your calm and back out of the situation before it escalates to the point you get into trouble. It sounds like the best outcome for you is the charge of disorderly conduct.

Last edited:
You are not at the mercy of the prosecutor. You are at the mercy of a restaurant full of potential witnesses who are employed there. Your mistake was pissing in their sandbox.

Well considering I didn't provoke the assault in the least and just defending myself I didn't piss in their sandbox. They pissed in my sandbox.

As far as the prosecutor what I meant by being at their mercy (considering I'm not the defendants) I meant how strongly the prosecutor will take this seriously and take all of our statements and evidence or just try to get this settled quickly either out of court or whatever. Just never been in this situation and asking advice. Not really sure if your post is criticism of me or what you mean really.

I have no dog in this fight. Just pointing out the severe weakness of your position.

I spoke up and told her just to give us our damned money back so we could leave.

Section 13A-11-7 - Disorderly conduct.

(a) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:

(1) Engages in fighting or in violent tumultuous or threatening behavior; or

(2) Makes unreasonable noise; or

(3) In a public place uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or

(4) Without lawful authority, disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons; or

(5) Obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or a transportation facility; or

(6) Congregates with other person in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse.

(b) Disorderly conduct is a Class C misdemeanor.

If someone was trying to choke you out from behind and approaching you again what would you do? Let them hurt you more, maybe kill you or defend yourself?

I have no dog in this fight. Just pointing out the severe weakness of your position.

(a) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:

(3) In a public place uses abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture; or

(4) Without lawful authority, disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons; or

(6) Congregates with other person in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse.

First of all neither of us were charged with this and asking for a refund gives no one the right to assault you.

This is just the most ridiculous post I think I've seen. I'm not even sure if you're completely reading my posts.
I come here asking for legal advice and I would think people could give me further possibly useful advice rather than blame the victim.

This is just the most ridiculous post I think I've seen. I'm not even sure if you're completely reading my posts.
I come here asking for legal advice and I would think people could give me further possibly useful advice rather than blame the victim.

I suggest you retain a criminal defense attorney for you and your spouse.

Upon paying the attorney's retainer, you can inquire as to he these things are processed in your county.

Bottom line, you've learned, or will soon learn; there is NOTHING fair, just, or impartial in the criminal justice system.

You would have been better off, just paying for the SLOP, and never returning.

The reference to pissing in their sandbox is apropos.

It means many things, but in this instance, they were able to concoct a more believable version of events with their larger team of eager liars.

Hence, next time, just pay the darn tab, and leave.

Going forward, stay as far way from conflict, disputes, and public displays of annoyance as you can.

There are critters in this planet that will kill you and your wife just because you looked at them.

Last edited:

You stopped being a victim the moment you struck out at the bouncer.
As you tell it, there is no evidence to support your story. The witnesses lined up against you.
If you are charged with an offense and have to appear in court then obtain a lawyer and discuss your options.
If you are not facing charges then you are best off to forget about this, stay away from that restaurant, and don't get drawn into any more fights.

I suggest you retain a criminal defense attorney for you and your spouse.

Upon paying the attorney's retainer, you can inquire as to he these things are processed in your county.

Bottom line, you've learned, or will soon learn; there is NOTHING fair, just, or impartial in the criminal justice system.

You would have been better off, just paying for the SLOP, and never returning.

The reference to pissing in their sandbox is apropos.

It means many things, but in this instance, they were able to concoct a more believable version of events with their larger team of eager liars.

Hence, next time, just at the tab, and leave.

Going forward, stay as far way from conflict, disputes, and public displays of annoyance as you can.

There are critters in this planet that will kill you and your wife just because you looked at them.
I appreciate the advice.
I wouldn't have had a problem paying for the meal if we would've eaten any of it. I'm not going to pay someone over $30 for nothing. As far as diffusing the situation I think it would've barely been possible. Hindsight is 20/20 right ;)

You stopped being a victim the moment you struck out at the bouncer.
As you tell it, there is no evidence to support your story. The witnesses lined up against you.
If you are charged with an offense and have to appear in court then obtain a lawyer and discuss your options.
If you are not facing charges then you are best off to forget about this, stay away from that restaurant, and don't get drawn into any more fights.

Neither of the guys were bouncers. They were having meals at tables with their women. Friends with the manager or owner maybe? What happened was I was shoved in the back of the shoulder, turned, shoved again, put in a choke hold from behind literally struggling to breathe and had to defend myself. If not getting close to blacking out I could have passed out and died or fallen and hit my head on the tile floor. That IS a victim. I don't care about even being labeled a victim I just want some justice if there is any.

As to the witnesses even if they do show up to the trials of the guys I'm charging with assault what are the odds of their lies not having inconsistencies?

I appreciate the advice.
I wouldn't have had a problem paying for the meal if we would've eaten any of it. I'm not going to pay someone over $30 for nothing. As far as diffusing the situation I think it would've barely been possible. Hindsight is 20/20 right ;)

Neither of the guys were bouncers. They were having meals at tables with their women. Friends with the manager or owner maybe? What happened was I was shoved in the back of the shoulder, turned, shoved again, put in a choke hold from behind literally struggling to breathe and had to defend myself. If not getting close to blacking out I could have passed out and died or fallen and hit my head on the tile floor. That IS a victim. I don't care about even being labeled a victim I just want some justice if there is any.

As to the witnesses even if they do show up to the trials of the guys I'm charging with assault what are the odds of their lies not having inconsistencies?

I am sure that if any of those hoodlums are charged, their lies will get better.

Think about everything you posted.

Do you recall the young police officer being present?

If your alleged assailants were simply diners, that makes their story more believable, not less.

On the other hand, the fact that you were involved in an incident that bloodied the nose of an alleged assailant, simply illustrates your propensity for violence.

You have no idea that you could be opening up a mega can of WHOOP ASS and it'll get used on you and your wife.

Before you run off half cocked, why not consult a local attorney?

Finally, you have no idea who else may have been in the facility.

That alone would cause me to let this go.

As far as the $30 tab, after your legal bills skyrocket, you waste your precious time pursuing this, the $30 may seem like 30 cents. Sadly, if $30 is a concern to you, maybe you shouldn't be dining out?

Good luck...

Last edited:
Yeap. A $30 bill is a far smarter choice.

Specially when you have witnesses wiling to testify against you.

Have none of you ever been unhappy with your food/service and asked for a refund to get a rude response? We did nothing to provoke this attack if you reread my first post. Of course the witnesses are going to be on their side. They're patrons who apparently like the restaurant or only saw part of the altercation. We'll see who's willing to commit perjury on the stand...if the cop was even telling the truth or just trying to trip me up on my story. Why did the guy I had to fight off me to save myself from being choked with his arm wrapped around my neck not ask for me to be arrested if there were supposedly 5 or 6 witnesses?

$30 means shit to me at this point. If it takes everything I have I'll pay for a lawyer through this. I have a $350 ER bill and a $150 ambulance ride due to nothing my fault I'll be suing to recoup. You are focusing too much on the tab. I guess next time I'll let someone kick my ass and still get away with it, right? Lol. Unbelievable.

I don't agree that them possibly not being bouncers works in their favor. If they were bouncers they have more incentive to kick my ass out of the store. If they were just thugs that know the owner or were just eating what damned business is it of theirs what we are discussing with the manager? Why would they get so emotionally involved? None of this makes any sense.

The judge will see that a smaller younger guy was bullied by two guys bigger than him. Why would I attack a different guy unprovoked when the first guy had a problem? The judge will also not be stupid enough not to see that these supposed witnesses, even if they show up, don't have a vested interest in testifying for their friends or restaurant they are happy patrons of.

Have none of you ever been unhappy with your food/service and asked for a refund to get a rude response?
Actually, yeah. But, I've never been loud or particularly annoying about it. And, there is no legal requirment that the restaurant refund your money at all. They could have told you, "No."

We did nothing to provoke this attack if you reread my first post. Of course the witnesses are going to be on their side.
I suspect that if the witnesses are on "their side" it is because you were the one making a scene and the witnesses may see this as payback as a result of your attitude. No, it doesn't make it lawful, but, it does garner sympathy with the witnesses which can paint their testimony more sympathetically to the guys that bumped/pushed you at the start. Of course, maybe no one else SAW that push.

$30 means shit to me at this point. If it takes everything I have I'll pay for a lawyer through this. I have a $350 ER bill and a $150 ambulance ride due to nothing my fault I'll be suing to recoup. You are focusing too much on the tab. I guess next time I'll let someone kick my ass and still get away with it, right? Lol. Unbelievable.
So, you're going to spend thousands of dollars to recoup $500? Really?

You are certainly free to sue the venue and anyone there you like. The problem is going to be all those witnesses that they might have to say that you started things ... if that's what they said. And, again, you'll spend thousands of dollars to roll the dice. But, if you've got that extra cash laying around, go for it.

As someone who has poked a lot of rattlesnake nests over the years and never been bit, please take my advice and walk away before this blows up any more.

As someone who has poked a lot of rattlesnake nests over the years and never been bit, please take my advice and walk away before this blows up any more.

Thanks for the advice.
Maybe not enough people standing up to thugs like these is how they bully people and get away with it? Just throwing that out there.

I'm curious. You say you never even ate the food. At most restaurants you don't pay until after the meal. Demanding a refund before you ate the meal and paid for it makes no sense. Your whole story makes no sense.

I'm wondering if this is connected to the tin foil guy....

The thing you learn after dealing with these situations over and over is to evaluate the terrain and pick which battles you can fight and win and which ones you need to walk away from before you end up on the bottom. Small places, where everyone knows everyone, can be particularly dangerous if you are not an insider.

I was told off by an employee in a Walmart once in a small isolated NM town. I escalated his attitude to where there were 3 or 4 managers present regarding the issue. The head manager was friends with the clerk and his buddy who was hanging around. His buddy, sensing the advantage, got into my face and threatened to beat the crap out of me. The guy was about 6'6" 300#s. I politely looked at him and told him that he was welcome to do so, however, it was my opinion he was going to spend a long time in jail with all the witnesses standing there. The senior manager then jumped in to defend his friends and he and the LP guy made me leave the store. At the point the manager ignored what was happening to defend his friends, being right no longer mattered. What mattered was backing out of the situation without the keystone cops coming to reinforce the good ol' boy culture locally.

Thanks for the advice.
Maybe not enough people standing up to thugs like these is how they bully people and get away with it? Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back