Why doesn't child support take money from your second job?

russharv63

My wife and I live in Virginia. We have been married for about 1 1/2 years but we have known each other for over 9 years. Ever since we met she has been paying child support. When we met she owed over $9,000 but now she has brought it down to around $4,000. She has worked a lot of different jobs over the years. Most of the time she has worked two jobs at the same time. I have never seen child support take money from both of her jobs. They take it from only one job. Is their a law that says they can only take it from one job and not both?

My wife and I live in Virginia. We have been married for about 1 1/2 years but we have known each other for over 9 years. Ever since we met she has been paying child support. When we met she owed over $9,000 but now she has brought it down to around $4,000. She has worked a lot of different jobs over the years. Most of the time she has worked two jobs at the same time. I have never seen child support take money from both of her jobs. They take it from only one job. Is their a law that says they can only take it from one job and not both?

There is no law that says she can't pay the remaining $4,000 in one lump sum.
In fact, is she's a tad short, you could kick in a few quid to get to that four grand total.
If she would prefer to pay more than the state is snatching from one job, she could simply send the state child collection people (or the court), a matching money order each pay period so that she doubles up on paying off any outstanding balances owed.

If orders were sent to both jobs then she could end up paying double the monthly amount required. As said, she can always voluntarily pay anything extra that she wants to.

Agreed with the others. As long as the order is being satisfied by what they are garnishing from the first job, there would be no reason to garnish the wages from the second job. However, in every state I've ever dealt with regarding child support, they don't have a problem with the obligor sending in an extra payment outside of the garnishment, or even paying off the arrearages in a lump sum.

Back