Who's paying for a new sewer line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmedusa

I recently (three weeks ago) bought a house. In the listing it mentioned new water lines put in by the city, and also the sewer line was going to be replaced. When I asked for a date for the sewer line to be fixed, my agent said he wasn't sure but it should be anytime. This is the first time I've purchased a house, so I assumed arrangements were already made. Silly me!
After I moved in, my neighbors brought me up to speed. The seller (a real estate agent) had cleaned up the mess from the backed-up sewer and blocked off the line of the house next door, which went through my basement. However, the source of the problem was roots growing into the sewer line closer to the city main. Both houses shared the same line. The homeowners next door have had no sewer for 6 months because of being blocked off, even though there is an easement since 1945 (the seller of my house refused to allow them access).
The neighbors just now have replaced the sewer line to their house, and since they had a verbal agreement with the previous owner of my house, that she would pay for the portion going to my house, they also replaced my section at the same time. She is now saying that she had no such agreement, there was no problem with my sewer line, and she isn't going to pay anything. In the disclosures, she stated she cleaned up the leak in the basement, and says nothing about the actual source of the problem. I even have the section of pipe that is packed solid with roots, and the contractor will provide a statement about the condition of the line. In the meantime, the neighbors are going to put a lien on my house for the cost of replacing my sewer line. I haven't even lived here a month!
My question (and yes, I actually have one!): is it worth it to take her to court? All of my savings went into buying this house, I don't have the funds to hire a lawyer, and I've never been to court in my life. Should I just pay the $2700 and move on?

Contact the agent that sold you the house and get something in writing about the replacement of the sewer line i.e. who was to do it etc.. and go from there -- you first need to find out who was agreeing to put it in-- I would, in the mean time, pay back the neighbors ( if you can) once you have the information on who was responsible to put it in -contact them for the $2700.00 if they dont pay sue them in small claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back