Who should pays for water damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

flapaul

In January 2009, the sewer line backed up and flooded inside of my Florida condo. The blockage in the line was 40 feet outside my condo. When the plumber came out he said the sewer line needed to be better inspected. This was passed along to the HOA mgmt company. The HOA reimbursed me for the amount that I paid to plumber, they also said they would look into the matter. There was also a back up in 2008, but I didn't think much of it at the time.

In July 2009 it happened again. This time the water damaged the hardwood floors in the bedroom and I had to replace them. The HOA paid for the plumber to come out again and clear the sewer line. It was also inspected by camera at this time and a root was found to be the cause. Since the last plumbers visit the tree causing the issue has been removed and the sewer line was replaced. All paid for by the HOA. ( I am not the first person to have this issue either)

Since the condo was on the market to be sold and I had to take it off the market while the floors were being repaired, I could not wait for the HOA to figure out if they were going to pay for the repairs at the time and paid out of my own pocket.

I asked the HOA to reimburse me for the replacement of the floors. I ddn't even mention the carpets, towels that were ruined or all the other misc. expenses it cost me and they have said no. Besides filling a claim against my home owners policy what should or can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back