Who puts up the fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuter2toot

Robert Frost said, "Good fences make good neighbors." I'm not so sure.

We share a field/woods with our new neighbors in rural Sumner County, TN. Our 2 large dogs have run on this property long before they moved in, and it has been a mutual unspoken "OK" between neighbors until now. One of our neighbors even runs his cattle and goats on this property from time to time without asking permission, and he doesn't own any of it! I got a phone call from them yesterday saying that they don't want our dogs in their pond anymore (city people ... sheesh!). :no:

Is it their responsibility to erect a fence to keep animals off their property, or our responsibility to keep our dogs on our property? This is a huge expense! They have created this new restriction. We don't have the problem ... they do.

Please point us in the right direction. Thank you, et

It's your responsability. Not so much to put up a fence, but to keep your dog off the other property.

You can buy a cheap set up. They have collars that would shock the dog if it went out of the boundry. It won't hurt them, but will keep them from crossing a certain point. Once they learn, you can replace the collar.

Putting up a fence wouldn't do much good. A dog will go threw one, over, under, dig under it. The fence isn't the answer.

I guess the city has come to the country...

Thanks for the advice, we have our work cut out for us and it isn't going to be cheap.

Semper Fi,
Erin Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back