Who pays loss time off work

I'm just going by what the OP wrote.

Even if the coworker just said our OP might have a contagious disease I would have a problem with the way the employer handled it. Cutting oneself on a filing cabinet doesn't usually cause one to get a contagious disease and when it does it means that someone else at the workplace had or has the contagious disease.

The policy may be to test everyone who spills blood around the office, based on the exposure to the public.

Since this was a work related paper cut and you were out of work for over a week, you MAY be entitled to TTD for the time over a week, but this is very much a long shot. It can't hurt to file a workers comp claim - the worst they can say is No.

I'd be curious to know whether the coworker actually knowingly and wrongfully alleged the contagious disease or simply expressed concern due to potential exposure. Some paper cuts are real doozies and can make a mess.
Taking action against the coworker would be the way to go but it's probably an incredibly weak argument not worth pursuing.

Back