Who pays for damages from break in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsiltala

For the last week my Niece and her roommate have had her roommate's brother staying with them. They asked him to leave yesterday and he did but about 2 hours later he came back broke down the door and threw it through the window. He was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, breaking and entering, attempted assault and some other things. Now my Niece's landlord wants the damages payed for before they will make any repairs. I say the landlord should go after the man that did all of the damage since he broke into their apartment and that the damages should be fixed regardless. What are my niece's rights on this and can she be held responsible for the damages?

Your niece and her roommate allowed the roommates brother to stay there (and I'm sure the landlord was unaware of this third person not on the lease staying there). The landlord has a pretty good argument that because the two of them let a violent person stay there, they are at least partly responsible for the damages this person caused.

If they don't work with the landlord on this matter, they may very well find themselves facing eviction problems very soon.

Gail

Roommate/tenants pay for the damages caused by their guest/invitee...the landlord did not invite the guy in so he should not have to pay for the damages he did....have them get renter's insurance and pick better friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back