Who pays for bed bug extermination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladybear1980

I have a bed bug infestation in my apartment. I have tried to deal with the problem and with no luck decided to advise the landlord of the problem for it to be fixed. They hired a exterminator who will take care of this (as well as the roach and mice problem) but they are stating that I will have to pay for the bill ($1450+) since i had not dealt with it sooner. This amount is about 3 months worth of rent. It was stated in so many words by the person that I talked to in the property office that other people in the building have had this problem as well but since they told about it right away they didn't have to pay for the treatment.

I tried to treat the problem so it wouldn't be a burden on the landlords. Why should I be reprimanded for trying to fix the issue and then asking help when i could no longer handle it? The treatment is set in a couple of days and I have been doing everything that needs to be done according to the exterminator.

Is it illegal for the landlord to expect me to pay for something that I have no control over? They have stated that since I delayed in telling them about it that this is their basis for not paying for the treatment.

Thank you for your assistance,

Jaime

There is not a clear answer here. The variables need to be assessed. Is this a multi unit apartment? What is state and local law? Can the original source of the infestation be traced to you? You can certainly be held for additional expenses as a result of your delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back