Who Owned the Automobile? Dealer or Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

echurchill

I live in Missouri. I purchased a car early in 2007 which was stolen within 2 months of purchase. I made a police report and reported the theft to my insurance company. Over the course of the next several months, the insurance company and used car dealership where I bought the car went back and forth about the the title. I had not gotten the title from the company at the time it was stolen and so had not had a chance to register or title the car in my name.

I had a call from the police department mid year last year saying someone had tried to get a duplicate title in Jefferson City, MO saying they were me. The police wanted to be sure I had not recovered the car and not told them -I said no - it wasn't me. I heard nothing more.

Yesterday, I got a notice from the used car dealership that they car had been sold and they wanted me to pay for the "Recovery Fee" and "Recon Fee"), plus whatever balance owed on the car at the time of the sale.

SInce I never knew the car had even been recovered - what is my recourse here - or do I have any? If I was responsible for the car - why wasn't I notified that it had been recovered? If I was not responsible for the car - then how can they demand I pay anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back