Who legally owns vehicle, person named on title or registration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindn

I co-signed for a car (Bad idea... i know). Initially i made the first year of the payments as the primary driver decided to not work and thus i was left with this bill and others. For the last few years she has been making the payments, but as of late the payments are not being made and she refuses to communicate with me on finances or payments for the car so I'm not sure if this is a temporary issue or a long term issue.

When the paperwork for the car was filled out the dealership only put my name on the Title, but the car is registered under her name. If she is not making payments and i were pay off the car would i legally be able to take the car either until she paid me back the payoff amount or could I sell it?

You have a problem that would need to be settled in civil court. However, with a title in your name, and if there is no lien at all, I would say you could take the car if you choose to and could even register it under your name.
The other party would have to make an argument in court if she believes she is owed anything.
Your problem would be obtaining the car. If you do choose to take the car I suggest you notify local law enforcement of the situation prior to prevent a report of a stolen vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back