Who is responsible for the health insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow96

When our parenting agreement was established I had sole custody of our daughter. In our agreement it states:

"Father shall maintain his present policy of health insurance, which is provided to Father through his employer, for the benefit of the child of the parties for so long as he has or could have an obligation for the support or educational support of the child"

It also state that if he is unable to cover her under his insurance that I will have to provide coverage for her and "Father provide mother full reimbursement for the costs of any such policy"

About 3 years ago things happened and we thought it would be best for our daughter to move in with her father. I am paying child support for her now. In the "Agreed Order" it state:

"All other provisions of the judgment and Joint parenting agreement relating to the minor child, including insurance obligations, medical obligations, etc. shall remain the same.

My ex found out in December that he was going to be laid off so he went ahead and had me add her to my policy which I did with no problem. But now he is telling me that because I pay child support it is my responsiblity to pay for the insurance and not his. He is telling me that the only reason he was still covering her was because his plan was cheeper than mine, he had to cover his other daughter and he was doing me a favor.

Am I reading my agreement worng and I am responsible for paying for the health insurance or does he should he be reimbursing me for the payments? I don't see how that is possible because even the child support order states that he is responsible for the health insurance.

From what you posted, he is to provide health insurance. If he can't, you are tondo it, and he is to reimburse you.

But, he's unemployed.

How can he reimburse you?

You might be better served getting an offset to the support you pay, as long as you don't mind taking food off your child's table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back