Who has more rights - next of kin or fiance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

southgeorgia912

My sister passed away last month. She had a fiance; they were going to be married in December of this year. Her sister in law from her former marriage (husband passed away in 2003) is also a key factor here. The two of them had to have their way with the funeral arrangements, visitation, etc, and pretty much shut me out of the discussion at the funeral home. I don't trust either of these individuals whatsoever. I have problems with the fact that he has a key to her home and has had the locks changed and has had a lock put on the outside gate. She ended up re-financing her home and car after both were paid off; I have reason to believe that he more or less conned her into it because he needed the money for his business. The sister in law's attitude is that I should just take over paying on the second mortgage, plus paying utilities, etc., as if nothing has really happened - that way she can use the house for whatever she wants. I have made contact with a lawyer who was recommended to me by the people at the funeral home and have applied to be administrator of the estate. It should be noted that at the time of the funeral planning, both wanted me to just give them permission to apply for administrator. I didn't make the decision then and there and decided to do it myself.

The legal notice(s) should be in the county's legal organ this week. I know I have to wait four weeks to see if anyone comes forward to protest - I already know the fiance and the sister in law are going to and are going to cause whatever trouble they can. Apparently, they want me to assume all the bills and just hand everything over to them, and that's in addition to paying my own bills. I already know I'm going to lose my home if this happens.

My question - who should have more say so in these proceedings? Me as her next of kin (and I'm the last surviving member of the immediate family; she had no children) or her fiance? Also, the sister in law has lived just about her whole life in the county where the probate court is and knows a lot of people. I don't trust those two and I also don't trust the lawyer who is handling this. I feel I"m up against a brick wall. What are my rights at this point? He had said that no bills would come out of my pocket as far as her estate, but I feel he's lying and I feel he's siding with the other two.

I regret your loss. Please accept my sympathies for your sister's demise.

Your sister died intestate (without a will), I take it.

You are her legal next of kin.

Those other two shysters have no standing.

Your sister's debts died with her.

You are not personally liable for her debts.

Look at this:

http://www.debtfreedestiny.com/featured/debt-after-death-who-is-responsible/

You can pay what you can from the proceeds of her estate.

Not one dime needs to come from your personal funds.

If her estate can't pay her debts, her home could be lost to the lenders.

But, that is not your personal responsibility.

Follow up with the lawyer you've retained.

If you want to, you can hire a lawyer from another county in Georgia.

Here is something to read about probate and intestacy Georgia:

http://www.atlantalegalaid.org/wills.htm

http://www.mystatewill.com/statutes/ga_law.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back