Who Has Access to Security Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awclark

I am writing from Oklahoma. My question was briefly dealt with in previous posts, but I feel I'm in need of further clarification. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I rent out a single family home that has a security system installed by a prior tenant. I secured new tenants 4 months ago and told them that although I do not maintain the security system they should feel free to activate it if they chose to. At the time they signed the 2 year lease, I mentioned that they should supply me with the access code if they decided to have the alarm up and running. I never thought that this might be a concern to them since I already have keys to the property, and it is important to have access for emergency situations. They dragged their feet on complying, and I'm wondering what gives! Am I mistaken in believing that access to the security system is just as valid a landlords right as having keys to all the access points? I live in Oklahoma and the Oklahoma Landlord Tenant Law does not go into this specificity. Any thoughts on how I should address this without pointing out to the tenants the lack of logic in their thinking? Thanks again, awclark

It only makes sense for you to have it. If you need to make entry for any of your legitimate purposes, you will need to deactivate the alarm.
If they won't provide the code then you can have the system removed from the property or pay for it yourself and raise the rent to cover the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back