who gets the car

W

whitney28

Jurisdiction
Florida
RECENTLY MY BOYFRIEND AND I HAVE SPLIT UP BUT THE CAR IS IN BOTH OF OUR NAMES WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE?

Turn off the caps. It's hard to read, annoying, and the equivalent of shouting.

WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE?

The same rights to the car as your boyfriend has.

You have just learned a life lesson from the school of hard knocks. Don't get financially involved with boyfriends.

One of you will have to sign the car over to the other one. However if there is a bank loan involved, it's not that simple. Whoever wants to keep the car will have to obtain their own bank loan.

When in two names it week typically appear with the word OR or AND between the names on the registration.
If OR then either of you can sell the vehicle. If AND then it requires you both to agree.
Who retains possession of the vehicle is for the two of you to work out amicably. If you can't, then sell.
As above, this has nothing at all to do with any loan documents and financial obligations. Did you both sign for the loan? If so, you should strongly consider selling the vehicle and repaying the loan. It is unlikely the financing company will allow one of you to bail out before being paid in full.
If you are not on the loan then it is perhaps best to just forget about the car and move on.

Never become financially involved with ANYONE who isn't your spouse, or LEGAL business partner.

If you do, you'll generally get screwed.

Be very clear about marriage, and make sure you know the person you're marrying well.

If you forget about that little detail, you'll possibly rue a rush to the alter.

Back