Which copy is accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDtenate

When we signed our lease in Nov, our landlady did not have a copier so filled out 2 blank copies and had us sign both.
Our landlady has informed us that she plans to sell the house we are currently renting. I sent her an e-mail requesting that she be sure to inform the realtor that we still have 17 months on our lease. She responded back asking how so, she said we had only signed a 12 month lease which would leave us with 5 months. I explained to her that SHE wrote 12/31/2010 on the lease. She asked to come see the lease, when she did she stated that it must have been an "opps" on her part. She also said that her copy of the lease has 12/31/2009 on it. Which date would be the right date?

Now, this is just going on her word that her copy actually says 2009. It hasn't actually become an issue at this point, but we would like to have an idea of what our options are.

If it comes down to the wire, it would take a judge to determine which copy would be accurate.

If this helps; when a rental unit is sold the lease continues to remain in effect until its termination date. If your landlord does put this house back on the market (and it sounds as if she's pulled it off, at least on a temporary basis) I'd try to work it out with her as to when your lease should end.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back