Which avenue to take for Massachusetts Lemon Law

Zachary Moore

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
So I bought a lemon, and its cost of repair is greater than 10% of the purchase price.

While the garage I went to didn't perform a state inspection, they assured me that with the damage to the lower control arms, it wouldn't pass a thorough inspection and is unsafe to drive long distances. I'll be getting inspected tomorrow.

So my question is this, Massachusetts appears to have two different forms of Lemon Laws for used cars.

One is this, the Failed Inspection Lemon Law:

Failed Inspection Lemon Law

And the other is this, the Used Car Lemon Law:

Used Car Lemon Law

So which one takes precedence? The former option mentions nothing of the dealer's right to perform repairs, and seems rather straightforward; a failed inspection within 7 days qualifies you for a voided contract.

But the latter option seems much more involved, lots of stipulations and requisites and arbitration.

I think I'd prefer to just void the contract outright, as the dealer is over an hour away and I'd end up doing a lot of driving and needing someone to go with me to bring me back and forth.

The dealer I purchased from and contacted didn't even seem to know of the Failed Inspection Law.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220823-180823_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220823-180823_Outlook.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 2
Back