Where to file for divorce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simkoja

I have a couple of questions, but first my story.

I married my husband in 1996. We were living in Florida when I left him in 1998, and I moved to Tennessee. At the time I was four months pregnant with our second child and was the sole support for our first child. Since I have left I have not had any contact with him. Because of the fact that I am raising 2 children on my own, with no support, I can not afford the $700+ to file for divorce. There is a chance that he has filed a divorce, but since he does not know my address, it would be a default (I think that is what it is called).

Here are my questions:
1. If he has filed for a divorce, how would I find out?
2. If I file for divorce, do I need to file in Tennessee or Florida?
3. Is there a way for me to file on my own? He does not want anything to do with his children and there is not property or money involved. I also do not know his address so It would be a default.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

You would file in the place you live now because you have lived there for over 6 months.
I guess you could call a court house in whatever city in Florida he was last known to live and ask if there is a record of a divorce. I really don't know how else you could find out. If you hire a lawyer, he might be able to track it down if he did file for one.
If you don't know where he lives now, they usually have to send papers to the last known address. If he's not there anymore the lawyer you hire would know and then you usually have to put a notice in the newspaper for a certain amount of time. If there is no response from him, then they will grant you the divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back