where police pullover

Status
Not open for further replies.

geversud

where police pull you over

I had heard that police cannot pull you over on a private road only on public roads. Is there any validity to this? I ask because on my way to work as I was getting off the highway an officer that was following me gets in the turning lane with me and then enters my business complex which is a private road. A quarter mile down as I am about to enter my lot he finally decides to hit the lights and stop me. Can he do this? The violation was expired tags if that has any bearing. This was in DE.

Last edited:
I had heard that police cannot pull you over on a private road only on public roads. Is there any validity to this? I ask because on my way to work as I was getting off the highway an officer that was following me gets in the turning lane with me and then enters my business complex which is a private road. A quarter mile down as I am about to enter my lot he finally decides to hit the lights and stop me. Can he do this? The violation was expired tags if that has any bearing. This was in DE.

Since the officer saw you on a public highway there is nothing illegal about the traffic stop. In addition it is very likely that there is an agreement covering police jurisdiction on the private road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back