Where do I go with this. DSS, Public Schools and Psychiatrists

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedmel

My jurisdiction is: Missouri

At the urging of the public schools, two of my four children were seen by a psychiatrist and placed on medication for ADD and bi-polar disorder. They were never given a proper evaluation. One of the children has realized that she will get plenty of attention when she acts "crazy" at school, saying the voices in her head make her do things, etc. She has exhibited frequent disturbing behavior with my complete ignorance of it. The school being concerned contacted DSS. DSS came to our home due to the hotline. This was the first time I had heard of my child showing any signs of strange behavior. There are problems in her class... she doesn't feel comfortable there due to being bullied by other children. Her teacher admits this freely.

Apparently, it's not enough for the school. They write a letter to the local Juvenile office, though I've never seen proof of this whatsoever nor have I been contacted by the Juvenile office regarding my daughters strange attention seeking behavior. The DSS workers had me sign a parenting plan several weeks ago promising to ask the psychiatrist for a proper evaluation. Having spoken with the psychiatrist about it at our last visit, he agrees and fills out the paperwork to get her in to be seen. We want to prove that the behavior is attention seeking at this point, and not something else.

2 DSS workers then come to my home (my 13 year old lets them in before I get home and they ask her questions pertaining to my religion - they are waiting for me when I arrive) and tell me that the Juvenile office wants my daughter taken from me and placed in a hospital where she can be monitored and evaluated. But they are being nice and trying to help me keep her by giving me the chance to admit her myself.

Intimidated, and seeing no other choice I admit her into the hospital I stupidly comply with DSS by signing a release for them to obtain any medical information and speak with the psychiatrists about my daughter's mental health. They also convince me it would be in my children and my best interest if I participate in what they call "Intensive In Home Services" a program where they closely monitor "ahem" I mean work with your family to help ensure the child doesn't get placed outside the home because they are on that fine line of needing possible placement.

My daughter is to remain in the hospital 7-10 days. It has been 6 days now. She has a release date in 3 days. According to the doctors she still claims to hear things, etc but they have not noticed any strange behavior from her. The results from testing haven't come in yet.

DSS workers have been to my home nearly every day. Instead of feeling as though I'm getting help to organize, schedule, and set goals for my family - I feel as though I'm being interrogated. I am asked about my religion. What type of rituals does my family do? Things of that nature. They want all my children in counseling now. None of my other children have shown signs of needing counseling. Now they want to schedule meetings with my child's school so they can be present.

How much do I have to allow them to participate in my life?
Can I tell them I do not want them to go to my children's school meetings with me?
Can I refuse Intensive In Home Services?
Can I refuse to allow the psychiatrists to share my daughter's medical information?
Now that I've signed all these forms am I obligated to work with these women?
How can I protect my family?
Is the public school allowed to make judgment calls about a child's mental stability?
Is there anything to prevent the public school to report any mental concerns without first notifying the child's parent?
Is cooperating with them for the time being the best thing for me to do?
Should I seek alternative schooling for my child in the future as the public school system here does not understand nor have the capability to handle a child with an attention-seeking disorder?

I suppose I should clarify that I signed the release after they had spoken to my daughter's psychiatrist and obtained information so they could set up the hospital admission. The release I signed was only for the hospital and the care team there.

I have never signed a release for them to obtain information nor speak with her original psychiatrist about her.

I should probably also mention that they did come to my home while I was napping and my daughter was home - sick - from school. When I didn't answer the door, they went to get a police officer and my landlord whom unlocked my door allowing these workers entrance into my home. They did not have a warrant. They stated that they believed me to be in danger from my 9 year old child.

I am also pregnant. I believe they are using my pregnancy as a reason to believe I may be in danger from my daughter.

You need to cooperate with DSS. Where are the kids father(s) at? Failure to comply with DSS will be seen as not following a parenting plan and you will be even in more despair if your kids are removed. Your kids need counselling. Although your kids may not be physically abused, a couple of them may not be getting the mental help they need. By ignoring social services and being defiant you will only cause yourself more trouble. You better believe that if any of your kids are removed, they can also remove your baby if they feel the baby is at risk too. The fact you have several kids and are pregnant again with these problems is going to put you under the radar. Are any of the fathers involved at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back